Forums Latest Members
  1. Prange May 10, 2015

I'm looking for my first Omega chrono. I'm torn between the X-33 and a Speedmaster.

Any thoughts from people who have or have had both?

Thank you.

2. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months May 10, 2015

I don't have an x33, though I do like the skywalker.

I'd suggest the speedy first, then the x33.

3. ricardorio May 10, 2015

Speedmaster mechanical manual wind first !!! No doubt !!!

4. rwilner May 10, 2015

Buy a speedy, manual wind, hesalite.

The thing is, you're going to end up buying the watch I described above anyway. So, the only question is do you want to deal with buying and selling an x33?

Unless you can afford both of course :)

5. Prange May 10, 2015

The 3750.50's simplicity and classic look appeals to me. The tech of the X-33,titanium,uncommonness, and minimalist dial when the digitals are off appeals to me,too.

Decisions,decisions. I'll probably wind up with both.

6. rwilner May 12, 2015

My "tech" watch is a breitling aerospace. I love it.

7. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer May 12, 2015

I'd suggest an Avatar first. Then Speedy 3570.

repoman likes this.
  8. gee_cee May 13, 2015

totally diferent watches. They are, however, both speedmasters ;-)

9. Prange May 14, 2015

Okay-Check my Avatar.

10. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member May 14, 2015

Speedmaster Pro Moonwatch first, X-33 second. Has to be the Moonwatch first.

11. refugio May 16, 2015

You don't say which X-33 but the "digits off" means Gen 1 / Gen 2 not the Skywalker. So you're looking at a used (possibly serviced) watch that's about 10 years old. And I'm guessing the 3570 would be used as well.

I've had (1) Gen 1, (2) Gen 2s, and a 3570. I currently have (and am wearing at the moment) a Broad Arrow 3551.20, and I also have a Speedmaster Date that was the first watch I bought when I first got serious with this hobby about 5 years back.

The X-33 and 3570 are different in so many ways - other than both being "Omega tool watches" - that it's hard to know where to compare, but I'll give it a shot...

3570 has a mind-numbing variety of strap, bezel, dial, and hands options. If you only have one watch you can have quite a bit of fun modding it up at a fairly reasonable cost. But you have to deal every day with a handwind, no date, limited WR, and mediocre accuracy.

The X-33 (both versions) is amazingly light and comfortable on the titanium bracelet. Only you can say whether the alarm/chrono/etc functions are a plus - most of those functions are possible with a smartphone (or even a fitness band like the Microsoft one I wear). Any quartz watch is loads more accurate than a mechanical, but the Gen 2 (and some recently Omega serviced Gen 1s) have thermocompensated movements that are accurate in the range of 1 spm. The backlight is hugely more legible at night (a plus for older eyes), the alarm is quite loud (plus or minus, your call), the operation is rather complex (you will need the manual, available online, just to set the watch).

I'll try a comparison...if you could have a Porsche 911, would you want an older air-cooled one? Or a modern water-cooled model? That's pretty close to the "vibe" of the 3570 compared to the X-33. If you like mechanical things...like wrenching on stuff, maybe have a hankering for a small home machine shop, then the 3570 is your watch. But if you like technical things...home automation, the InternetOfThings, etc - then the X-33 might be the watch for you.

rwilner likes this.
  12. rwilner May 16, 2015

Just for the record. I own an aircooled 911, and I chose a 3570. So, refugio apparently knows me better than I know myself.

hansmaulwurf likes this.