Forums Latest Members

WTB new Speedmaster Pro. My options?

1. chappy16775 Nov 1, 2016

Hey folks
    New member here. I've convinced myself I need a Speedmaster Pro (3750.50 or 311) and came here to discuss!

Just wondering what my buying options are. Here's what I learned so far:

1. Authorized dealer.
    Pros: Get full Omega warranty. No hassles. No waiting for shipping. Anything goes wrong, easy to deal with.
    Cons: Will likely pay 80% of MSRP (so ~$4200 plus tax!).

2. Grey market (Jomashop).
    Pros: Cost only $3,400 and no tax.
    Cons: No Omega warranty. Have to trust Jomashop warranty. Mixed reviews on customer service.

3. Forum seller (Kringkily? Others?)
    Pros: Full Omega warranty.
    Cons: Cost more than Grey Market (but less than AD?). Trusting a stranger (maybe try pass off lightly used one as new or who knows what?).

As you can see I'm a bit less informed on #3, so maybe you can educate me.
    Any other comments/feedback welcome.

Thanks!

2. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Nov 1, 2016

You have researched well young Padawan.

3. ac106 Nov 1, 2016

4. Hkolka Nov 1, 2016

I just purchased mine from Jomashop, I posted a "review" here. I had a good experience, along a classmate who did the same. Two day shipping in both cases, and flawless watches.

5. chappy16775 Nov 1, 2016

Thanks
    I see your point (though the difference would be $400 given the JS ones are now $3,350).
    Anyone know how he is able to source watches like this from AD's at low cost? I guess understanding that would help put my mind at ease.

6. chappy16775 Nov 1, 2016

Interested why you said you would probably next go with a forum seller after your positive Joma experience?

7. Hkolka Nov 1, 2016

Im based in NYC so a face to face meet up would lead to a developed relationship in the future. Jomahop is just a giant vendor, theres no experience to it, and no relationship when you want to make future purchases. A forum seller usually has many positive reviews and experiences under his belt, you should feel assured that you're getting the best deal possible. The slight possible price difference for a personal connection is worth it in my opinion, let alone the official warranty. I apologize in advance if the response is incoherent, Ive been in class all day I feel fried.

8. chappy16775 Nov 1, 2016

If I buy from a forum seller (thus with Omega Warranty), will my local AD to have it properly sized for me free of charge?

9. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Nov 1, 2016

Generally not, an OB most likely will but not an AD.

10. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Nov 2, 2016

The Omega Boutique will size free of charge. They will also clean your watch and test it on one of their timing machines. They offer these services free of charge.

11. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Nov 2, 2016

George @Kringkily all the way for me. Honest as the sun coming up each day. Read all the happy campers in for sale reviews over the years. ;)

12. Teunan87 Nov 2, 2016

In general I have better experiences with private sellers than grey market. Most of the time they have more love and passion for watches I guess... Or I've been lucky :) True, it's a stranger, but most of the time you do have more personal/easier contact then with a grey market dealer. It's important to do some research and 'digitally' screen the sellers. After that, you will have a good idea whether you can/can't trust.

Good luck!