Forums Latest Members
  1. epl108 Jun 25, 2014

I don't know exactly what I want, but I've looked through the WRUW pages, and kept my eye on the forum for some time now and have narrowed it down to these characteristics:
    • really like the beefy lugs
    • a textured dial
    • the "coat hanger" 'S'
    • a clover crown
    • cross hair
    • non-black dial: white/silver/gold etc okay!
    • unique dial hardware
    • a price at or under about $1000
    I realize this is a pretty long list, and I'm certainly willing to entertain pieces that might not meet EVERY one of these characteristics, but the more the better!

Working through some historical threads, here are a few pieces that stand out to me:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have found the following as references of some of the above: 2627, 2846, 2767, 2757 with calibers including 353, 354, 355, 500, and 501. (it appears I basically want all of the watches kyle L has sold over the past few months ::facepalm1:: - guess I took too long to figure out what I like)

Any help in pinpointing other specific references that I might focus on, or even better, on sourcing one of these would be greatly appreciated. Anyone thinking about selling something like this, but haven't pulled the trigger yet?

Thanks in advance,
    Evan

2. John R Smith Jun 25, 2014

The other classic Seamaster reference from this period is 2577, so don't miss that one out. You should be able to get something nice for your budget, but watch out for redials, heavily polished cases, wrong hands and crowns, and dirty neglected movements with worn rotor bearings. All of these are much more common than a nice, clean original one.

epl108 likes this.
  3. Mathlar Jun 25, 2014

Also keep an eye out for references 2657 (sub-seconds, calibre 342) or 2494 (centre seconds, calibres 351 or 354). These are jumbo sized cases, are among the earliest references, being introduced only one year after the very first Seamaster; and are quite uncommon. A tiny percentage were COSC, and are even rarer.

Most I have seen have waffle dials (although that's not many). You may be able to get one for around the $1000 mark.

Here's mine:

WP_20130615_003.jpg

4. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Jun 25, 2014

This one is gold cap and fulfills most of your requirements:

[​IMG]

tinger, LouS, NT931 and 3 others like this.
  5. John R Smith Jun 25, 2014

What Mike doesn't mention is that this is the only example in the Known Universe . . . and of course he's got it.

epl108 likes this.
  6. Mathlar Jun 25, 2014

Now that's a nice guilloche finish!

I guess this settles the argument once and for all about the early 50s "G" in OMEGA. Glad to see I was on the winning side ;-)

7. epl108 Jun 25, 2014

All great pieces. Have added those additional references to my "shopping list."

Mike, what ref. is that one? Never seen a dial quite like that before - it's magnificent!

8. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Jun 25, 2014

If I recall the typical 2577 - it's just the dial that is unique and really the reason I got the watch.

epl108 likes this.