Forums Latest Members
  1. Steve1haggart May 29, 2015

good afternoon OF
    I’m heading to the WTA in Munich this weekend never been to anything like this, can anyone tell me what I might expect? And Will I able to purchase some lovely time pieces?
    Thanks
    Steve

2. Tony C. Ωf Jury member May 29, 2015

I tend to be disappointed in those type of shows. I was at the Munich fair last October, and, while there are a lot of dealers, was hard-pressed to find anything that really grabbed me, let alone at an attractive price.

Of course I am very critical and have very specific interests, so, depending on your tastes, you may have a different experience.

There also tends, in my view, to be an over-emphasis on Rolex and whatever is in fashion at the moment. I gravitate more towards classical '40s, '50s and '60s models, and they are not as well represented.

You may get lucky, but in my experience, ebay, private sales, and even dealers with internet sites are far better sources.

As a final aside, not too many years ago things were different, and there were plenty of good opportunities. I bought a rare IWC ref. 866 at the very same auction for a fraction of what it is worth today. But times are different now, dealers are more sophisticated, and a good portion of the best and most desirable examples are actually traded between them before the fair is even opened to the public.

Regards,

Tony C.

3. mac_omega May 29, 2015

I second Tony...

I have been there quite regularly and have made the same experience.

The WTA Munich starts already on Saturday - but not for the public - traders only! So the best pieces are whisked away from other sellers before the public show starts on Sunday, unless the prices are too high for a S 2 S sale, these watches remain for the public ::rant:

4. watchyouwant ΩF Clairvoyant May 29, 2015

be there Friday early evening at the lobby in the hotel, where most of the dealers stay, and ask around and make your deals there. good luck ! kind regards. achim

cristos71 likes this.
  5. Steve1haggart May 29, 2015

Achim,
    we are not flying out till saturday as we were told the show was only open to the public on the sunday. im sure we will enjoy it all the same thanks you so much for your advice it alway help being new to this .
    thanks
    steve

6. Mick Tock May 31, 2015

Hi Steve,

The Munich watch trading show is just another opportunity to eventually get your grail watch – and to meet other collectors and dealers.

I got many fine watches here, some of them I had not purchased without having seeing it in the flesh.

I will be there today. I will stay connected, drop me a PM if you want to meet. That's for Steve (if he still wants to attend) and all fellow collectors, of course.

BTW, you could meet Manfred Rössler at his booth and purchase his El Primero catalogue.

See you,

Mick

[​IMG]

michaelmc and SeanO like this.