Forums Latest Members
  1. sulaco May 31, 2014

Remember the 145.022 i bought and that i wrote about the upper Pusher not being fully screwed in... well i found the reason for it.

At first here is the picture that clearly shows the difference between upper and lower pusher.

[​IMG]

Distance between pusher cap and bezel edge is obviously bigger on the upper pusher.
    When i took the watch apart to get hold of the serial number i found out that it was loose in due to the fact that the pusher pin
    was to long which had the following effect when fully screwed in.
    You could start the Chrono but you couldn´t stop it because the chrono lever could not fully reset for stop function due to length of the pin

Now i started to think about solutions...
    Achim gave me the idea to grind off the pin until it fits and i headed that way ending up with the following experiences.

1. don´t be too hasty when grinding something as a tiny watch part or you end up with it being too short ::censored::

2. There are two sides to screw down on a pin and you end up with two results when grinding on or the other down which might be interesting for the hobbyist watchmakers ;)

[​IMG]

Thanks William for the picture to use it for explaining.

The red part of the pin is the one you want to grind down when you find out you got a pin that is too long, but as i said slowly and with patience.
    When you reduce the length of this side you will be able to fully screw in a pusher tube when it was impossible before.

However when you grind down the green end you will reduce the distance between the pusher cap and the bezel edge, which might be interesting
    when you are very keen on having the same distance on upper and lower pusher. Once again proceed with caution.

Where were i....

Ahh yes, i ended up with a too short pusher, so Achim gave me another idea. Use Superglue on the red marked side of the pin, let it harden out and remodel
    the tip.
    Well thanks Achim, that worked out perfect :thumbsup:, but remember to let it dry out completely otherwise you will have a pin that is connect to the movement :p .
    I used this as a interim solution and was still looking for a pin i could work with, when it came into my mind the William (Spacefruit) had a picture of a pile
    of used and broken pushers on his homepage. So i got in contact with him.
    Thanks to his generosity, :thumbsup: he did send me some pins in different sizes to work with, but this time i observed first before acting and the first one i
    tried had the exact size and fitted perfect.:D
    Now everyting fits perfectly, has the correct distance and works perfectly.

Thanks Guys!!

P.S. One could say, Man, why didn´t you just buy new ones.... Well ..... That would have been to easy :D

2. pascs May 31, 2014

Glad to hear that you got it sorted.

I've also observed the same thing and found that the 145.014 MKII seem to have the longer pin and the normal Speedmaster the shorter one.Thankfully I too have a few old spares from when fitting new pushers.

The problem with grinding the pin would be that the slot for the screw driver is lost?

3. sulaco May 31, 2014

Right, if you grind down to much, but you can use a plier to unscrew them too.

4. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident May 31, 2014

That's when you use a slotting file to cut (or deepen) a slot for the screwdriver.

Archer likes this.