Forums Latest Members

Write up of recently acquired Speedmaster 145.022-69 Straight Writing

1. bencrouch25 Aug 1, 2015

I've been meaning to do a write up of my recently acquired speedy for a while but with my Wedding last Saturday I just haven't had the time. Now the dust has settled, I've been able to take some photos and create this post.

Back in May William @Spacefruit listed a lovely '71 that I missed out on, it was this missed acquisition that forced me to research more, get the funds in place and properly commit to finding my first Speedy. After commenting on an OF thread of Speedy's with Straight Writing caseback's, I was PM'd by a new member who had one for sale.

I was very cautious at first and made sure I verified the seller by contacting him through eBay and arranging a call over FaceTime, once we had engaged in several emails and everything checked out, I got in touch with @Spacefruit again for a second opinion.

His advice was greatly received (as always) and it was his commentary on the watches bad bits "it can be part of the journey" that made me realise this was the watch for me. So, after several more calls and emails to negotiate the terms of the sale, the seller sent me photos of the watch packaged up ready to be shipped to me in the UK from the US, perfect. That was until he changed his mind at the last minute and ran back to the postal centre to pick the package up.. at this point I was thinking 'nice work, you've been completely had here' and for a hour or so I felt very stupid. We spoke on the phone again and I managed to talk the seller back round (it was shipping insurance and declared value that he panicked about) so he went back to the post office the next day and re sent the box.

photo.JPG

5 nervous days passed and finally I had my hands on my first Speedy. It has lots of faults and is by no means perfect but you've got to start somewhere right? Thank you for going through with the sale @Tylerstg1 we got there in the end! Now for some photos taken on my DSLR with completely the wrong lense:

IMG_0349.JPG

IMG_0350.JPG

IMG_0352.JPG

I've since purchased a velcro strap from @Kizzi that I love, big thanks to Phil for listing one on eBay for me so quickly and posting it to me right away. You can see from the slight fraying of the velcro that it's been well used since it arrived.

IMG_0353.JPG

Thank you for everyone at OF for the help, advice and platform to learn on, I don't post much as I'm still learning but I read lots and hope to one day have something usual to say! OF has got me through many boring afternoons in the office so a bit thank you for everyone posting.

Finally, a wrist shot with my wedding ring (also recently acquired!) in view.

IMG_0362.JPG

Cheers, Ben

2. sulaco Aug 1, 2015

Nice writing, nice watch... the straight writing is still missing in my collection, i know that feeling when you wait for a package to arrive ;)

3. Jones in LA Isofrane hoarder. Aug 1, 2015

Congratulations Ben! From where I'm sitting, it looks perfect :)

4. marturx Aug 1, 2015

Great write up, great story! Thanks for sharing.

Big congrats on your wedding too, can we see the bride please? :D

5. wsfarrell Aug 1, 2015

If I look at my '71 through a hypertrochoid lens it looks sort of straight.

sigh.......

6. scruffy Aug 1, 2015

are those straps still available?

7. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 2, 2015

Congrats mate great piece and glad you're enjoying it!

For another option strap wise have a look at a 20mm Horween Shell Cordovan, looks great on Speedy Pros as it has a more weathered vintage feel but feels amazing to wear as well.

8. rollingrevolver Aug 2, 2015

Loved reading your post - felt like I was part of the journey :) The speedy looks great on your wrist.

Big congrats on your first speedy and all the best to you and the Mrs!

9. michaelmc Aug 2, 2015

Congrats on the wedding and the watch. m

10. bencrouch25 Aug 2, 2015

Thanks for all the comments guys. It's good to get some feedback on the write up as it's something I've not done before.

@scruffy if I were you I'd send @Kizzi a DM with a polite message and I'm sure he'll sort a strap out for you on eBay.

@dsio a Horween Shell Cordovan strap is next on my list, once the bank account is in better shape after forking out for the wedding and honeymoon I'll treat myself!

11. Brench Aug 7, 2015

nice. great watch. very happy with mine as well.

12. esspee1200 Aug 8, 2015

Congrats. Great story.