Forums Latest Members

Would you wear a never-before-worn, vintage watch?

1. bilemshious Oct 29, 2014

Would you wear a vintage watch that had never been worn? I'm not talking once or twice or to a wedding... I mean regularly.

2. shaun hk Fairy nuffer Oct 30, 2014

Probably not, I'm just far too clumsy.
    I owned a Seamaster Cosmic that had been worn possibly once or twice before I got it. I found it sat in the box far too long as I didn't want to damage it. And that was only a cosmic, not even particularly valuable. So, I sold it to someone who is a much more careful person than I am and they wear it frequently.

citizenrich likes this.
  3. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Oct 30, 2014

Is *depends* a fair answer?

in my own little world money isn't a bottomless resource, so...

if we're talking about a situation wHere the the wearing of a certain piece will knock 3 or 4 thousand dollars off the market value of the vintage watch then that thing is never even going to see daylight.

Also: if by chance the piece has some historical significance (I'm fortunate to have a couple of watches which definitely fit this description), they're locked away, waiting for their next custodian.

I was lucky enough to pick off an unworn steel Seamaster (just the other day). It's never been worn but I will certainly change that status. Here's a couple of seller photos:

image.jpg
    pitpro likes this.
  4. bilemshious Oct 30, 2014

So it sounds like if it's worth a lot and you're not too clumsy, it's ok to wear. A $2k watch won't lose much value if you're careful? I'm curious because I want to buy a nice watch, but I also want to wear it!

citizenrich likes this.
  5. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 30, 2014

Most vintage watches have been worn, to find one that's truly NOS is far harder than it sounds. Dealers can make a fairly worn watch look superficially new by polishing a lot and replacing parts extensively.

JohnSteed and citizenrich like this.
  6. M.D. Oct 30, 2014

Definitely buy something you're going to wear. Wearing it is a significant part of the enjoyment IMHO. A nice watch doesn't have to cost $2k. There are some great examples in the sales section of this forum for less than that. If you're worried about maintaining the resale value of the watch, you probably won't want to wear it regularly. I'm sure there will be other more seasoned collectors that will chime in with their own experiences.

7. M.D. Oct 30, 2014

Also...nice pickup Citizenrich!

You'll have to post some wrist shots.

citizenrich likes this.
  8. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Oct 30, 2014

You have to service it if you want to wear even once or twice. Don't let the watch sit in a draw and pull it out every 7-10 years and wind it up and expect it to work every-time.

Wear it and treasure it i say. Millions of people wear a $10,000 or expensive vintage watch every day of the week.

citizenrich likes this.
  9. bilemshious Oct 30, 2014

10. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Oct 30, 2014

Yeah, definitely wear whatever you buy and enjoy it! The seamaster which I just posted barely cost 1/5 of 2 grand. Frankly, I was super surprised the seller let it go for the price he did. that watch is as basic as a seamaster gets ( if not for the hippocampus, it's basically a Geneve watch).

The 550 isn't a highly prized movement for hardcore Omega collectors which is probably why I was able to get a perfect condition watch for way under 500 bucks. A dealer would list this watch for 1100 or 1200 in this condition so I'm surprised a dealer didn't grab it. Am I repeating myself? Lulzzzzzzdroolzzz

bilemshious likes this.
  11. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Oct 30, 2014

thank you, kind sir and, will. :)

12. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Oct 30, 2014

I can't believe nobody has said it...................

Screen Shot 2014-10-30 at 5.41.31 pm.png

13. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Oct 30, 2014

That 145.022 you found which I picked up was definitely never worn. I looked at it 10x and even 20x and I sort of, kind of, know to look for. Once again, thanks!

the story for that watch makes sense. The buyer is an experienced italian jeweler / dealer and he bought as many limited editions as he could (not sure what his allotment was?) Anyway, he bought it and put it away for 27 years but it never really appreciated the way a small-run limited edition generally does. The seller told me that his trade group basically badgered Omega to make a "custom" speedy for their market. because no after market developed for this watch (the jewelers and dealers kept every single piece as "investments"), there's practically no demand for this watch.

Curious, indeed.

14. Teodoro Freeman Oct 30, 2014

I do have a NOS Nivada Chronomaster fro 1967 and I wear it, even if very carefully. Obviously it might be different with a more expensive watch

15. Northernman Lemaniac Oct 30, 2014

Tried to venture down the NOS alley. Just couldn't find it was for me. Could not make me wear them, and for me the value (not monetary) lies in just that.
    Sold them and bought watches I could enjoy instead.

citizenrich likes this.
  16. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Oct 30, 2014

As a simple watch enthusiast, I don't buy except to wear.

Whereas, IMO a true collector (or investor) might prefer to maintain the condition and preserve the NOS premium.

Many watches are described as NOS, but to me, NOS means in original packaging with tags, warranty, etc.

andyg and citizenrich like this.
  17. ulackfocus Oct 30, 2014

Watches were made to be worn.

(note the BOLD emphasis on the period at the end of that statement)

citizenrich and bilemshious like this.
  18. roach7 Oct 30, 2014

Wear and enjoy it

citizenrich and bilemshious like this.
  19. Escargot Man, look at that S car go! Oct 30, 2014

Several years ago, I bought a vintage Omega Seamaster chronometer with date on a bracelet that I swear must be NOS. The seller didn't advertise it as being such, but I could not find any significant wear anywhere. So it's gone from being something I purchase to be worn in my rotation to becoming a safe queen. I've been debating ever since whether I want to wear the watch. The only progress I've made is to remove the bracelet, otherwise it continues to remain unworn by me...

Pic of my queen below...

image3.JPG
    boat2dan, citizenrich and bilemshious like this.
  20. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Oct 30, 2014

Unless it were a crazy valuable watch, I would definitely wear it (with care). A nice "mint condition" watch isn't likely to be worth much less than NOS. In fact, I just picked this one up in Zurich, and have already worn it a couple of times...

[​IMG]

lando, Gavin, Darlinboy and 3 others like this.