Forums Latest Members

Would you pull the trigger on this Datejust?

1. wxs2 Aug 6, 2019

I came across this Datejust on offer from a private seller in Europe for EUR 3,800 and it ticks a lot of boxes for me - early 90s, smooth bezel, classic silver dial. Based on these photos alone, does anyone have any thoughts? Would you go for it?

upload_2019-8-6_12-35-20.png

upload_2019-8-6_12-38-41.png

upload_2019-8-6_12-39-1.png

upload_2019-8-6_12-39-14.png

It is a 16220 from 1991, on offer without box or papers. Seller says it received a full Rolex service in March 2018 and is under guarantee until March 2020. The bracelet was replaced at the time of the last service.

I'm hesitating but can't see a lot wrong with it, and the price seems reasonable. I've been on the hunt for a Datejust for a long time and this really fits the bill. I was really hoping the Forum might have some sage advice - either tell me to go for it or walk away!

2. onthedial Aug 7, 2019

@wxs2
    I can’t comment on the condition of the watch owing to the low-quality pics. But, if you’ve done your due diligence and determined that the watch is sound (condition essentially how it left the factory, legit paperwork, etc.) then I would expect to pay around $3600 USD for this reference. For the current price I would want to have box & papers/full set. Just my opinion...

Grk and wxs2 like this.
  3. wxs2 Aug 7, 2019

Thanks, that's really helpful. I'd be buying on trust to some extent, those are the only pictures I've seen to judge the condition (although I did get serial no and model reference pictures from the case). Thank you!

STANDY likes this.
  4. rkman11 Aug 7, 2019

As noted, hard to say from the pictures but looks to have seen a polishing wheel or three in its day. Again, hard to say but even if it hasn’t, I’d agree it’s priced on the high end.

watch3s and wxs2 like this.
  5. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Aug 7, 2019

Recent service and new replacement bracelet adds a few $

But it’s seen a polishing wheel for sure....

Ask for close up shots of the lugs before you do anything.

Nobel Prize and wxs2 like this.
  6. wxs2 Aug 8, 2019

Thanks everyone. Seller won't move on price so I guess I'll keep looking...

watch3s likes this.
  7. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Aug 8, 2019

Price isn’t overly bad with service and new bracelet, more pic,s of lugs would be better to scrutinise.

8. mrs_LA Aug 9, 2019

I think you can definitely get a better price for that. A service performed by Rolex is a hefty price to pad to its true value. I would prefer to look for one unserviced (box and papers if you wish), and taken to an independent who is well capable and save at least $400.

9. watch3s Aug 10, 2019

For that price id pass, just based on condition. After doing the conversion to usd, for a few hundred more, you can likely find a better datejust if you are patient.

10. flyinb44 Aug 21, 2019

Looks like a 16200. The 16220 had the engine turned bezel. From the pics, it looks like the one spring bar is almost poking through the lug, which would indicate it having been polished.

11. Ville_W Aug 21, 2019

Expensive for a private sale. It’s also important when judging a Datejust to get pictures from both sides. You need to see the profile of the case to get the full picture of how much it has been polished over the years.

12. Canuck Aug 21, 2019

On the other hand. Find a Datejust with no service history known at a “better” price, then have it serviced before you use it, and what will the total cost be? This one serviced by Rolex, and with about a year left on the repair warranty, and with a brand new genuine Rolex bracelet. Cheaper, and with papers, isn’t always better. Go with your heart. If you like it, buy it! :)

13. Bizcut1 Sep 7, 2019

Looks authentic to me. Price slightly high but not outrageous either.

Good luck with your choice. Either way you win. Lots more to choose from out there. too...

14. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Sep 7, 2019

Agreed price is not outrageous. I would easily buy it at that price IF I could see it in person or had better pics and it sang to me. A few hundred to me is easy to justify on emotion and as other have stated a Rolex service and guarantee do add value because you know any parts changed at service are genuine Rolex and you have a brand new bracelet and don’t have to wonder about parts or authenticity.

If you look for a bargain but don’t feel 100% sure I the savings will just spoil the fun.

15. Dan S Sep 7, 2019

The photos are very poor, but I suspect those are luminova service hands. For a 1991 watch, the lume looks extremely white.

16. rkman11 Sep 7, 2019

I was thinking the same thing. Wondering actually if the whole dial is a service replacement.

17. Dan S Sep 7, 2019

Yes, that crossed my mind as well. As you probably know, strange as it seems, there are luminova service dials marked T SWISS T.

Of course, these service parts are not necessarily an issue for someone who is just looking for an authentic pre-owned DJ. And the use of service parts is consistent with the replacement of the bracelet.

rkman11 likes this.