Would you guys send this in to OMEGA?

Hi everyone

Wanted to hear your thoughts on this situation. I recently purchased a pre-owned Aqua Terra.

When I got the watch, under my desk lamp (admittedly the lighting is very unforgiving), I noticed there were a lot of scratches on the AR coating that were not disclosed. It was still a ~$5K purchase so I was a bit bummed out. I talked with the AD and they offered to send it in to OMEGA for an AR recoating.

I was very happy that this was offered. That was around two months ago, and now I've just received the watch back.

I noticed dust, lume, scratches, oil, or whatever it may be on some of the applied indices and date window frame. The issues are visible under direct lighting at specific angles and angles; they're not too noticeable in outdoor sunlight.

urg7k5E.jpeg

z62FcaQ.jpeg

I wanted to avoid going back to the AD for this issue, as the AR recoating was already a bit iffy since it was a pre-owned watch (though the scratches weren't mentioned). I thought I'd reach out to OMEGA directly to see if I could have these issues corrected on my next service - I didn't think it was urgent enough to have to send it out immediately again, I was fine waiting a few years so I could avoid causing extra work for Omega's service center.

I did receive pretty quick responses from Omega, but without confirming whether or not these could be cleaned up on next service; I think I received semi-automated responses with a UPS return label to their service center. Do you guys feel the flaws are big enough to send in now? Could these markings be cleaned up on the next service?

However I have to say I love the watch the watch looks!
Edited:

I wouldn't be happy with the look of those indices, especially if they are scratches, and if they weren't there when you sent the watch in. That's why I always try to avoid having a watch opened up unless it really needs a mechanical interaction to fix a problem. If the 'stuff' wasn't on those indices when you sent it in the first time I'd be shipping it back.

Was the debris and scratches there before Omega did the AR recoating or did they do it?

If Omega did it I would have sent it back, if it was there before I would take it to a watchmaker who could fix the debris with a piece of rodiko

I wouldn't be happy with the look of those indices, especially if they are scratches, and if they weren't there when you sent the watch in. That's why I always try to avoid having a watch opened up unless it really needs a mechanical interaction to fix a problem. If the 'stuff' wasn't on those indices when you sent it in the first time I'd be shipping it back.

Quoted member hen
Was the debris and scratches there before Omega did the AR recoating or did they do it?

If Omega did it I would have sent it back, if it was there before I would take it to a watchmaker who could fix the debris with a piece of rodiko

Appreciate your replies!

Tough part is, I don't know if it was there the first time - I do have close up video of the watch face when showing the crystal scratches, but the lighting doesn't line up to show if the markings are there. I would ideally just like to get it fixed next time it goes in for service but I'm not sure if that's included in the "case polishing / restoration" during service!

Appreciate your replies!

Tough part is, I don't know if it was there the first time - I do have close up video of the watch face when showing the crystal scratches, but the lighting doesn't line up to show if the markings are there. I would ideally just like to get it fixed next time it goes in for service but I'm not sure if that's included in the "case polishing / restoration" during service!
I don't think scratches on a dial/indices are covered by a normal service, Omega might say the dial has to be replaced.

Like 1