Forums Latest Members

Would you consider the new 35mm heritage conquest?

1. lovevintageomega Apr 22, 2014

Paul Miller likes this.
  2. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Apr 22, 2014

There's not many contemporary three hand watches that I like but that one on the Longines web site is lovely.

3. ulackfocus Apr 22, 2014

As reissues go, those are some of the nicest. Longines and JLC seem to get it when it comes to promoting their heritage.

4. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Apr 22, 2014

If I were to but a contemporary watch, that one would be at the top of my list.

5. Gavin It's the quiet ones you have to 'watch' out for. Apr 22, 2014

The Heritage version ticks all the boxes for me. I would get it. But if price and availability is not an issue, I will still like to have the originals anyway.

6. Hijak Apr 22, 2014

dragoman likes this.
  7. Modest_Proposal Trying too hard to be one of the cool kids Apr 22, 2014

Would these watches, considering their limited edition status, be considered solid investments?

8. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Apr 22, 2014

No.
    And if you would, kindly direct me to watches with solid investment status. Alternately I will accept the winning lottery numbers (PM, please)!
    To be honest, it's hard to know what will turn out to be a "solid investment" in the watch world today. Some vintage pieces may appreciate, but what if they're on the bubble right now and we just don't know it?
    I fear Longines, despite their relative superb quality and design, are not a brand that would appreciate in value. I think Rolex/Patek Philippe are the most "blue chip."
    While return on investment is nice, I view this "hobby" as one with more expenses incurred than returns. I would (and am) considering this watch as my dress watch of choice. I have long felt this model is the best looking watch I have seen, including Omega Seamaster (close second). Something about the width of the lugs and the way they attach to the case, and those markers...fabulous!

9. ulackfocus Apr 22, 2014

"Limited Edition" does not always equal future collectibility. The main thing going against these reissues are the lack of an in-house movement. That's not snobbery on my part, just a fact of watch collecting. Historically, an in-house powered Longines will fetch 30% - 60% more than a rebadged version given all else is equal.

For instance, a stainless steel 1960's Flagship with a caliber 490 (a rebadged Marvin / Election caliber) might get $500 - $675 where the same Flagship housing a 30L will get $700 - $1100 depending on condition. An even better example is the Admiral series from the 1960's - a 50x (rebadged Record 195x) will be mostly overlooked by discerning enthusiasts because they want the models with the in-house 34x and 35x series.

pnwyankee likes this.
  10. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Apr 22, 2014

Those are probably the closest homage watches I've ever seen. The standard dial is almost identical to the original Conquest, as are the medallions.

I'm sure that the price is a lot higher than that of this original All Guard (pre-Conquest).

[​IMG]

I still really like the new version,
    gatorcpa

11. Paul Miller May 29, 2014

These are gorgeous. I understand that, being re-issues, they will not be particularly interesting to most collectors and enthusiasts of vintage watches, and that is legitimate. But for someone like me, who just wants a beautiful watch, prefers a new watch has old-fashioned tastes in terms of look and style, isn't attracted by today's large-diameter watches, and finds the mid-century designs aesthetically pleasing, these 35mm Longines re-issues are a dream come true. The 35mm steel version with date can be obtained easily and I already have one and wear it almost every day, and I couldn't be happier. Well, that's not QUITE true -- the limited-edition version ("1954-2014") without the date is even more beautiful, it actually achieves perfection in my view. I've ordered one but am not certain of getting it, as only 600 are being made.

dragoman likes this.
  12. Ocho_1 Jun 18, 2014

These are some of my favorites, & most probably the next watch I'm going to buy.

13. Texas_Tom Jun 26, 2014

longines_1940.jpg I have the heritage 1940

14. Hijak Jun 26, 2014

I was considering buying one of those heritage models...but then I found this...
    Longines All Guard Ref 9006 Cal 19AS 1958, 3.jpg
    and am very happy with it. Now I'm on the hunt for an early Conquest with a black dial, these just wear so nice, Love 'em!

Samir, Event horizon, tinger and 3 others like this.
  15. kamak Jul 14, 2014

My 1956 Conquest meets the new sibling from 2014

[​IMG]