Forums Latest Members
  1. chadpowe11 Aug 11, 2015

Hi everyone I recently bought a dream watch for myself been a watch that I always wanted sense I joined this forums. I bought the watch back in May received the watch in Mid June. My intent on the purchase was to wear this watch for my Wedding which was July 11/15. Now for the horror! Week before my wedding I was getting ready to go do some final meetings and pay the bills I wound up my watch and as I set the time the crown feel out! No excessive force at all. Calmed myself down and put back into watch box then went about my day. Next day took the watch to a local watchmaker who is trained in omega and rolex etc he installed the crown for me and said it needs a new stem and the stem was incorrect for this watch, fine by me its old! Still sad he gave it back and it wound perfect and set the time. He said watch is in a poor state and requires service he then quoted me $1000 unsure if this is good or bad. Watch will be sent to Al if it costs a $1000 then it does with him I trust his work. Lucky my wife bought me a watch to wear the day of the wedding so watch stayed in the box. While after I got back from my honeymoon and wound the watch up and wore it about the house my wife wanted to know what the difference was in chronograph or a normal watch, I went to show her now the damn chrono's broke! my luck for this watch is done... Contacted the local guy and he said he didn't touch anything just the screw to remove and install crown (he did all the work in front of me so I trust). Contacted the individual I got the watch from told him about crown and chrono. He replied back didn't say anything about chrono but said he had the same problem with crown but just reinstalled it, this issue was never disclosed to me and he said he wore it a handful of times. Had to reply and ask about chrono. He said my watch has been stuck in time setting mode and crown needs to be removed and reinstalled, but I don't think its time setting mode due to it sets time and winds. Contacted Al he said chrono works in winding mode or time setting mode it don't matter. Recontacted the seller and no reply for past 5 days. To completely confirm the chrono I wound it up a few days ago and now it does not wind and does not set time and crown does not fall out... So im pretty annoyed.

Will not mention sellers name or watch other then its a chronograph.

Would you be totally be pi**ed off or just move on and get it serviced? The crown was small but im more annoyed the chrono is broke. Also the watch is still getting serviced by Al when he is avail.

Thanks Chad

2. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Aug 11, 2015

I'd be annoyed but if the watch required servicing anyways, I'd just move on.

Tom

Kimmo likes this.
  3. chadpowe11 Aug 11, 2015

Pretty sure im just moving on. Was not informed watch needed service was told it ran and worked perfect, also know this means nothing. The local guy said it needs service he has also said that about a watch that Al just serviced for me! But he is the only local watchmaker for a quick fix.

4. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Aug 11, 2015

tough to say without more info about the watch in question, but if it's a used watch past it's warranty period, then I'd always expect to have a service done, regardless of what the seller says (unless proof from a trusted or verifiable source is provided).

Consider it an act of Watchitarianism.

Eric_navi likes this.
  5. chadpowe11 Aug 11, 2015

Its well past its Warranty "68". I always want them serviced and trust no seller unless proof. But I expected the watch to work for much longer! Ah well time to move on and enjoy it when back online. Thanks guys for your views.

6. Mothra Aug 11, 2015

I'd be annoyed, but when I got a freshly serviced watch back a while later, I'd be over it. Stuff happens. One of my favourite watches had to have a complete movement transplant due to sustained neglect despite the seller telling me it had been serviced twice in six months. Still love it.

7. italy1861 Aug 11, 2015

Sorry to hear about the bad experience... It's an old watch and sometimes they need some TLC... If Al does the service on the watch, I'm sure it will be running better than new when you get it back..:thumbsup:

8. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Aug 11, 2015

Depends in part on who the seller was.

If it were just a seller of stuff I'd chalk it up to they didn't know anything more than it was just a watch. These people tend to say a watch works if it winds up and ticks. If it were a watch seller I'd tend to be much more annoyed although that could be tempered somewhat based on exactly what the sellers description of the watch was.

9. chadpowe11 Aug 11, 2015

Was not just a seller of stuff. I have been talking to the individual who gave him a referral and hes in total shock that he offered up nothing to help. Also the individual that gave him the referral contacted me.

10. Optimizer13 Aug 12, 2015

At this point, relax and get the watch fully serviced by a reputable watchmaker. There is nothing else you can do. If the seller isn't replying your email, don't expect to get a refund/discount or anything. But once its serviced, you'll enjoy the watch and the rest is history (or a "story" of how you acquired your dream watch!)

11. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Aug 12, 2015

Well I would like to know what we are talking about....Pics would have been a great help.

But some basic principles I have lived by:

- All watches I buy need a service
    - Any watch I receive running is on borrowed time until I get it serviced
    - Most people who like to think of themselves as watch dealers dont buy their food with watch profits.
    - Most collectors who realise this are honest to deal with
    - Most collectors dont realise this

The following has literally no meaning and not worth the pixels that show it:
    "Running to xxxx specs"
    "Recent service"
    "Keeping good time"

Northernman, oddboy, Esmarch and 2 others like this.
  12. Matty01 Port Adelaide's No.1 Fan Aug 12, 2015

Agreed with all of the below but I tend to use paypal and ask questions like
    Is the watch keeping good time?
    When was it last serviced?
    Are all of the parts genuine?
    Is the dial unrestored?
    Do the chronograph functions work correctly and reset to zero
    What is the power reserve?
    Does the crown wind smoothly?

If answers are hazy or suggest obfuscation I dont buy the watch, unless it is priced accordingly.

If the answers are clear Ill buy the watch. Any issues on arrival, such as I had with one recent 5k purchase, and I offer the seller the opportunity to present me a full refund before I send them back the watch, or to pay for my watchmaker the amount he quotes to do the necessary work on the watch.

Honest seller, no problemo. Dodgy seller, annoying but not the end of the world.

chadpowe11 likes this.
  13. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Aug 12, 2015

F::censored::k I think I only asked you how much, ;) i need to brush up on my questioning techniques ::facepalm2::

14. chadpowe11 Aug 12, 2015

Thanks Spacefruit this is the principles I will live by next time!! Anyways not the end of world just wanted to know if I'm just over reacting is being annoyed with the watch or if this is normal. Watch is going to be serviced and will wear happily for many many years.

Thanks everyone

15. Matty01 Port Adelaide's No.1 Fan Aug 12, 2015

Haha, i generally dont get quite so hardass when the watch is nice but cheap!

STANDY likes this.
  16. ulackfocus Aug 12, 2015

There's a distinct lack of pictures of the watch in question. I can't think without pictures.

oddboy, Buckeyes#1 and Spacefruit like this.
  17. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 12, 2015

Precisely. You can have a really rotten / corroded movement that runs, and I've bought never serviced watches that stopped probably 5 years after being bought in the 50s and sat in a drawer for 50 years, the former are lemons, the latter are gems.

The question is "what will it take and cost to get the movement serviced", not "does it need servicing" if its an old watch and there's no receipt from Omega or a watchmaker I recognise, it needs to go to a watchmaker before being worn.

18. chadpowe11 Aug 12, 2015

19. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Aug 12, 2015

So probably a 145.022-68

Needs a service

20. chadpowe11 Aug 12, 2015

Yes and yes