Forums Latest Members

Would love some advice - 1952 Seamaster Auto Calendar

1. gcsmithjr Jan 11, 2018

My dad passed away recently and this was his watch, bought new when he was in the Navy but he hadn’t worn it for the last several years.

I’m planning to get it serviced and have the crystal replaced but am struggling with the discolored dial - is the discoloration severe enough that I should have an expert remove the discolored lacquer and re-lacquer the dial or is the risk of damage too high? I’m definitely not interested in a re-paint.

E4772333-2235-4678-98BF-C5B006C3E0C7.jpeg
    GregH likes this.
  2. BenBagbag Jan 11, 2018

It wears well. Change the crystal and the color will grow on you. Lacquer jobs are hit or miss. Nice piece. Really cool!

dan7800 likes this.
  3. kyle L Grasshopper Staff Member Jan 11, 2018

Leave it as-is... if you the cleaner goes too far, the print will be gone. :(

4. Temprus Jan 11, 2018

Nice watch! Do not remove the discolored laquer. Keep the dial as is, only change the crystal. You can always ask your watchmaker to clear the dial and remove the laquer - but only once.

5. Temprus Jan 11, 2018

There is no warranty the dial will look better after the lacquer exchange

6. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Jan 11, 2018

The likelihood of destroying the dial by trying to fix it is far higher than the likelihood of it being improved!

Archer, Looneytoons and BenBagbag like this.
  7. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Jan 11, 2018

Wouldn't it be more rewarding to view it exactly as your father did than to view it after some process?
    New crystal and a service and then place it with honor among the family legacy.

If it isn't quite what you're looking for in a watch, get another, but I wouldn't destroy the amazing history that you have.

My disclaimer is that I tend to value the story, the history maybe more than I should.

Looneytoons likes this.
  8. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jan 11, 2018

Spend a little extra on a genuine Omega crystal. You will be surprised at the difference.

The yellowed dial might be more attractive than you think.
    gatorcpa

9. 1jansen Jan 11, 2018

Well said !!
    Once a new crystal is fixed, you will enjoy the beauty of the aged dial!

10. Spruce Sunburst dial fan Jan 11, 2018

Nice looking watch.

If you go down the advised road, perhaps you might post some before and after photos?

11. gcsmithjr Jan 11, 2018

Thanks for the great advice. Those of you who provided specific counsel against messing with the varnish confirmed my worst fears (I’ve collected vintage Gruens for years and have seen some BAD restoration jobs). I’ll get it cleaned and adjusted, will replace the dial and get a more authentic band and will post a picture when the work is done. Thanks again!

12. BenBagbag Jan 11, 2018

I think you meant it but - Crystal - not dial!

Candle00 likes this.
  13. gcsmithjr Jan 12, 2018

You are correct - replace the CRYSTAL.

14. ConElPueblo Jan 12, 2018

I'll bet that will look fantastic after getting a clean :)

If you'd like to get a better view of the state of the dial, you could polish the crystal with some Brasso or other polishing compound - it will remove the most superficial scratches.