Forums Latest Members
  1. mwsmith3 Jul 26, 2011

I've had this watch for ~20 years but know very little about it. (I never wear the watch). I was told the watch was gold but never have confirmed it. The face of the watch reads "Omega Seamaster and I see several sets of markings underneath the watch band - 750 1125 368 835.

I would appreciate any information and suggestions how to properly maintain it - Thanks
    omega2.jpg

Trev likes this.
  2. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 26, 2011

Two things:

1: Can you post some more pictures of it, including caseback, markings etc

2: What is the weight of the watch in grams

3. mwsmith3 Jul 26, 2011

Thanks for the response. Here's a couple of additional photos. I think the watch weighs around 120 grams. The watch was a gift from my father to me. He worked for ARAMCO in Saudi Arabia in the late70's and aquired the watch during his stay (he had purchased a rolex during his time in Saudi and didnt need another watch, so he gave this one to me).

omega6.jpg omega 4a.JPG omega 5a1.JPG

omega7.jpg
  4. mondodec Editor Constellation Collectors Blog Jul 26, 2011

Yes, your model is a 368.835 braceleted 18k gold Golden Seamaster. Just check under the clasp to make sure you havent misread the number 368.833 as 368.835. The watch head should be stamped 168.023 on the inner case back. The 368 prefix indicates that the watch and bracelet were shipped as an ensemble, rather than the watch having been accessorised with the gold bracelet at point of sale.

I wrote an essay on these models here They were available for a short time in 1968 and only 1000 were produced. The movement is a calibre 751 chronometer, and if you havent had it serviced for a long period of time I would most certainly not have the watch ticking until it's cleaned and oiled because lack of oil will cause friction wear of the movement. I would source a watchmaker who has worked around vintage Omegas and ask to have the watch dis-assembled, cleaned and oiled, with gaskets replaced and possibly the crystal polished. If you send the watch to Omega it may well cost you over 1k whereas a local quality watchmaker will probably charge under 250.

Cheers

Desmond

5. mondodec Editor Constellation Collectors Blog Jul 26, 2011

It is indeed possible that the watch stayed around from 1968 into the 70s as these watches were not cheap.

Cheers

Desmond

6. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 26, 2011

BTW just out of interest, what was the Rolex your dad bought? If it was a sports model from the 70s your dad could be a very lucky man in terms of vintage watch acquisitions. This Seamaster once you have it serviced will be a very cool thing to wear, it must have been Omega's take on the Rolex Day-Date 18k models of the era, and I have to say, being gold, and being as rare as this thing is, you'll never walk into another man wearing one in your life.

7. corporateangel Jul 27, 2011

Hi
    By coincidence, I also have an Omega Golden Seamaster ref 168.023 with the 18k expandable bracelet. I wrote an article on the watch here: http://www.1luxurious.com/2011/07/o...168-023-calibre-751-a-rare-watch-found-again/
    I also put a link back to your website Desmond!
    The watch was owned by a collecter that died years ago and was caught in a probate dispute, it has been stored in a bank security box for 15-20 years. A watch expert I know back in the UK looked over it and has told me its perfect. The watch is back in the UK and I'm in Penang so, although its mine and in my Fathers safe hands - I've haven't even touched it yet!
    Regards
    Paul

8. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 27, 2011

How the hell do TWO of these things turn up on this site within 24 hours, along with a rare ladies piece I've never seen so much as a picture of when there were decades with none to be found lol :confused:

McKnife likes this.
  9. corporateangel Jul 27, 2011

Hi Ashley

Yes, odd isn't it?
    I have a few Omega watches including an Omega La Magique Cal 1357 - another watch that sits along side the Golden Seamaster as a rarity. However I have a funny feeling that the Gold Ladys Omega that you have been helping me with in the vintage watch section could be at least as rare??!

10. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 27, 2011

Ha probably is you know, its just a shame that over the last 40 years most of the 18k ladies watches have probably been melted by idiots looking for a quick buck. Its beautiful to see these survivors.

BTW feel free to create a thread about that La Magique, I only just googled it and want to see some more, and whether or not you've ever accidentally bent it lol

11. corporateangel Jul 27, 2011

I'll get some hi-res pics of the Magique and upload them into a new thread. Luckily for me its pretty much mint condition with no scratches etc visible. Oh and it works :)

12. mondodec Editor Constellation Collectors Blog Jul 29, 2011

Thanks for the link Paul. Love to see pics of your example.

Since around 2007, I have come across around ten of these models, mainly through the post I worte about them. That's about right for a globalised marker on a 1000 piece collection.

Cheers

desmond

13. Wetworks Aug 2, 2011

Great watch! I have the gold-plated version and I love it. As Mondodec and Paul pointed out, these watches are quite rare. Enjoy it in good health!!!

14. mwsmith3 Aug 17, 2011

I wanted to thank those who reached out to me with information regarding my gold Omega Seamaster. As recommended, I had the watch professionally serviced. I've attached a couple of photos showing the watch now:

Omega Seamaster Restored.jpg 2011-08-13_14-19-33_888.jpg

One last question - does anyone have any thoughts regarding the use of self winding devices for a watch like mine? are they ok to use on a watch like my Seamaster?

Thanks
    Mike

15. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 17, 2011

Mike, as far as the movement in that watch goes, its not an extremely expensive item, we're not talking about an extremely rare and fragile movement, you can buy some very cheap and ordinary watches that have it. The rare and valuable part is the rest of the watch, the case, bracelet, dial etc. For that reason I would go to great lengths obeying the directives that the experts here have offered to maintain the piece in its aesthetic condition, but if using a watch winder makes it more convenient for you to wear this very cool piece, then just go for it.

It looks absolutely great in those pics, is the crystal new or just polished up? What did you get done all up?

16. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Aug 18, 2011

I have a different thought on this.

It is true that the value in the watch is in the case and bracelet, rather than the movement. However, it is also becoming increasingly difficult to source parts for these watches. Putting it on an automatic winder will increase wear on some parts of the movement that may be even harder to find in a few years.

I'd say wear it as often as you want, but don't keep it running when you're not wearing it.

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa

17. ulackfocus Aug 18, 2011

I'd second gator's opinion. Like my watchmaker says: "If you had a vintage Ferrari would you leave it running in the driveway?". Granted, engines and movements are completely different due to heat, but the idea is basically the same. It only takes a minute or two to set the time, day & date.

18. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 18, 2011

I'm just lazy, it cost me an absolute fortune to have my Submariner rebuilt due to corrosion throughout when I bought it, but I still keep it wound because I like to grab it on the way out the door and am always running late. :p

19. mwsmith3 Aug 18, 2011

My question regarding the winder is due to the fact that I cant figure out an easy way to set the day/date on the watch. It doest appear to have the quick set feature. Does anyone know how to set the day/date on this watch?

20. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 18, 2011

I /think/ this should be the manual for that watch:

http://www.old-omegas.com/752.html

I don't actually know the difference between 750/751/752 as I've never really looked into them, but it might be worth giving that a look.