Forums Latest Members

Would I be an a..hole, if I...

1. Edward53 Aug 24, 2016

Agree with the majority verdict, unless of course you want to be this person:

Someone is wrong on internet.png

RegF, ahartfie, West Slope and 12 others like this.
  2. Pradeep Aug 24, 2016

hahaha

3. RegF Aug 24, 2016

Will anybody benefit?

Will behaviour be changed?

I'd just move on.

4. dx009 Aug 24, 2016

So let me get this straight. OP wants to point fingers at someone that bought a Limited Edition watch just so that they can resell it for profit ?

I understand that it might not be pleasant as a watch enthusiast to hear about this but it's not illegal I believe that there are far worse things in the world ethically and morally.

I, for one, wouldn't buy a watch with an inflated price but others certainly are willing to do it and are doing it. Some care, some don't.

What's next ? Standing near children that sell lemonade and telling the people not to buy from them because they're making money out of it ? Jesus Christ...

This is one of those typical american stories where people just had to become invasive of someone's life for no reason at all and without any useful outcome to society (unless you're suggesting that the guy just wouldn't be able to move his "business" on a different forum or website...).

5. ulackfocus Aug 24, 2016

You used to invade threads with useless, or wrong, information. That's worse. The pot is calling the kettle black.

dennisthemenace likes this.
  6. dx009 Aug 24, 2016

That's just your opinion. :)

7. ulackfocus Aug 24, 2016

No, I'm sure there are quite a few members who share it.

Traveler and Archer like this.
  8. ktc Aug 24, 2016

I second this. The seller has already learned his lesson. Nothing we could say that speaks better than his non-sale at prior prices.

Traveler likes this.
  9. Togri v. 2.0 Wow! Custom title... cool Aug 24, 2016

You didn't get it straight. I couldn't care less if he bought it to make a profit. People make profit on watches all the time, when they increase in value. But I do get a little anooyed, when a person makes an effort saying he's not in it for the money, when he has bought a watch 3 days earlier and without having received the watch yet lists if for twice of what he paid. It's not the price or the fact that he want's to make money that annoys me. If that was the case I would have a problem in our capitalist driven part of the world. It's him trying to convince others that he is NOT that kind of person, while acting like he is. But hey, perhaps he is totally honest and really did get tired of the watch before he received it. If I bought a watch and got tired of it 3 days later, I would be a fool to sell it for the price I paid, if it had risen to twice that amount. But I wouldn't pretend to not care about the money then.

But then again, and as stated by several members in here, what is that to me. It just annoys me as other people gets annoyed by other things. I didn't say it causes me sleepless nights, so yes there are far worse things (I didn't say otherwise). I'm not complaining about children selling lemonade... Jesus Christ!

lillatroll likes this.
  10. vinn2 Aug 24, 2016

the invasion of the American Story Tellers. that sounds like a good name for a movie.

11. Togri v. 2.0 Wow! Custom title... cool Aug 24, 2016

Say whaaat? For your information I didn't do anything. I didn't point out to him that I was a bit put off, because I reached the same conclusion most in here made as well (that I may have in a way by bringing it up on the forum is another matter:D) Besides I'm not American. I also don't consider it invasive to pursue more moral with the people you deal with.

I reeeally feel this is thoroughlly debated by now. Thanks for all the comments and helping me remain a non-asshole :)

12. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 24, 2016

Why is it that whenever something is done that someone doesn't like they assume it was done by an American? And I am not eliciting a list of things around the world that have been done by Americans. We could trade lists of various cultures that have done done dumb, bad, evil etc. that is not the point. The point is let's not provide knee-response to every situation.
    Except of course the Sweds, we all know they're evil pillagers . :D

STANDY likes this.
  13. Togri v. 2.0 Wow! Custom title... cool Aug 24, 2016

Don't worry, they really are quite sweet, when you get to know them. What traumas you may have from past experiences, I can assure you that most of them are good, simple minded and slightly boneheaded people who would never do any harm :D

14. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Aug 24, 2016

but really...lemonade aside, what do you care? Look at all the people that bought the new Daytona's just to flip....He thought he saw an opportunity, it may have worked out for him, and it often does...and why the heck not if someone is willing to pay double the prize?

As for trying to convince anyone of anything, that is sales my friend. Unless you want to believe that everyone has an uncle with a watch that is all original (although it mysteriously was re-dialed sometime) , that everyone barely ever, ever wears the watch they're selling that a 30n year watch keeps COSC time and cooks breakfast for the family every morning.

It is always a temptation to unveil a mystery and seem smart, but pick your fights man.

As for any is everyone asking what is it to you? you asked a question, they are politely answering. I suppose it would get more in your nerves if instead of asking 'What is it to you?" they said. "Yes, in answer to your question, you would be an asshole!"

Foo2rama likes this.
  15. Togri v. 2.0 Wow! Custom title... cool Aug 24, 2016

Maybe a misunderstanding but I meant to say that I appreciated the comments about 'what it is to me', because I totally agree with people after thinking it over. Maybe too much is being read into this. I'm not on a crusade for total honesty and transparence I simply wanted to know what people would do and if they would be annoyed too. They wouldn't and I won't either in the future

Nobel Prize likes this.
  16. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Aug 24, 2016

yeah, I misread it, sorry.

Anyway, one day you'll find a good watch to flip and hopefully you'll be able to without too much hassle. With exceptions it is not like this hobby really makes us much money. I probably have gained as much as I have lost. sometimes big profit...sometimes big loss....often times a wash.

17. Togri v. 2.0 Wow! Custom title... cool Aug 24, 2016

Not much of a flipper. I tend to get emotionally attached to the watches I buy :( Dangerous hobby really...

18. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Aug 24, 2016

yeah, I do too....and then there comes a new watch that I get even MORE attached to. And my wife who is very cold and un-emotional looks at me....and then I sell something.

19. Perseus Aug 24, 2016

Look at it this way, because he couldn't sell it for a profit now he's only trying to get his money back.

20. dennisthemenace Hey, he asked for it! Aug 24, 2016

No it's not just his opinion.
    You were a real pain in the ass when you first joined.