Forums Latest Members

Would I be an a..hole, if I...

1. Togri v. 2.0 Wow! Custom title... cool Aug 23, 2016

Hypothetical question:

In the hypothetical situation that a person puts up a BNIB watch for sale, say a much talked about apparently sold out limited edition, stating that he is not trying to make money on the deal and just want to sell the watch for the same amount that he paid. If I happen to know that he has had sale ads on another forum, where he tried to sell the watch at 2 x list price only days after buying it, with out even having received the watch yet, and then lowered the price gradually, as no one was buying it, eventually reaching the asking price of what he paid himself.

Would I be an asshole for calling him out for that? In a nice and non-confrontational way of cource. I fully agree and accept that people can ask what ever they want for a watch and speculate in LE's as much as they like - hey! supply and demand - and I know as well that I can just ignore the thread. BUT I get a little pissed, when a person claims not be in it for the money. I mean he could just leave out the details about him not wanting to make money in the description, but instead is explicit on this. I didn't comment because I was in doubt, if I should just mind my own business.

What would you have done? (The hypothetical situation does not concern a watch posted in the OF sales sections)

2. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 23, 2016

I would say it is not worth the bother. At this time there is little to gain. Some of his actions would rub off on you. Just breath deep and let it go.

3. Togri v. 2.0 Wow! Custom title... cool Aug 23, 2016

Guess you are right and it was also the conclusion I ended up reaching, even though...
    Udklip.JPG

Jwit and sarasotawatchco like this.
  4. ulackfocus Aug 23, 2016

I see two courses of action.....

1) Just :rolleyes: and quietly move on.

2) Ignite and smiley-flamethrower.gif

I'm fine with either method! :D ::stirthepot:: After all, the potential train wreck keeps people coming back to see what happens next.

5. Mouse_at_Large still immune to Speedmaster attraction Aug 23, 2016

I really don't see what's to be gained, unless it's the internet equivalent of the satisfaction a little kid in a playground gets from shouting "Liar liar pants on fire" at another kid :cautious:

6. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Aug 23, 2016

Personally life is far to short to get involved.

Willem023 likes this.
  7. wsfarrell Aug 23, 2016

I like to believe that if people are called out on bad behavior, they'll be less likely to repeat it.

8. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Aug 23, 2016

Short answer: Why waste your time.

Long answer: Someone will always try to make money off of limited editions. Trading their luck or connections vs someone willing to pay more money who came late to the party or could not be bothered to invest time to get on a list.

What's worse in my mind is people that knowingly pay minimal money to an uneducated private sellar. Sure 20% is ok but examples of over 80% or more are out there.

9. cristos71 Aug 23, 2016

And just exactly how else are we supposed to be able to afford a vintage Speedmaster? :D

10. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Aug 23, 2016

Why waste your time. Someone will always try to make money off of limited editions. Trading their luck or connections
    I think there is a difference between a good deal, and being able to sleep at night... ;)

11. cristos71 Aug 23, 2016

Oh I agree, I would never misled or lie, but I have of course many times paid the asking price of a watch which was undervalued, I don´t feel the need or responsibility to do the sellers due diligence for them.

Edward53 likes this.
  12. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Aug 23, 2016

Based on the OP, he couldn't sell it for 2 times what he paid so the satisfaction comes with the knowledge that karma beat him over the head and gave him a swift kick in the ass. That's good enough for a vindictive asshole like me.

GregH and tyrantlizardrex like this.
  13. ulackfocus Aug 23, 2016

So let it be written, so let it be done.

ahartfie likes this.
  14. al128 unsolicited co-moderation giverer Aug 23, 2016

... and what about the "vindictive asshole part"? :D

15. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Aug 23, 2016

It has been written and has been done.

16. ulackfocus Aug 23, 2016

Never question the squirrel on the subject of avatar messages. :eek: :whipped:

17. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Aug 23, 2016

For what purpose? anything he has to learn about that sale he has learned already...one price reduction at a time.

ktc likes this.
  18. Cosd Aug 24, 2016

I personally don't like when people do this. It means that someone who has to save really hard to buy that special watch can't actually afford to get it because greed drives prices higher than they already are.

To OP, you won't gain anything by saying something; I personally wouldn't buy the watch out of principle, but if he had no takers, and I really wanted it, I would be happy to give him less than he paid just for satisfaction.

19. Pradeep Aug 24, 2016

i'd mind my own business, there is no point in trying to teach people lessons, especilly if its isn't something that directly affects you.

20. Togri v. 2.0 Wow! Custom title... cool Aug 24, 2016

You are all right and very sensible, much more than me. There really is nothing to gain except some sense of satisfaction on my part, which really is quite selfish, when thinking about it. Glad I didn't do it then, because now I already feel kind of an a..hole for even asking the question. However a part of me still wants to PM him, if he does it again, and say "Reeeaaaaaally? Mate, just sell the damn watch":D

demollo likes this.