Forums Latest Members
  1. monnimies Apr 29, 2017

Hi!

I inherited an old omega a few years ago and the glass has scratches in it. I believe it's from the 50's and I've yet to find a picture of a similar one. Should I change the glass or leave it as it is right now? By the way if someones knows the model please tell. The original strap was a canvas type thing which I still have but changed to a leather one due to the looks.

1493485679612446340018.jpg 1493485827248725936615.jpg
    mokofoko likes this.
  2. wsfarrell Apr 29, 2017

When you take that to a watchmaker to have it serviced, he will either polish the crystal or replace it----no effect on value.

OMGRLX and GuiltyBoomerang like this.
  3. kreyke Apr 29, 2017

I don't think changing the crystal will affect the value of this watch. Not many vintage models have an emphasis on having the original crystal.

OMGRLX and GuiltyBoomerang like this.
  4. Canuck Apr 29, 2017

Make certain a replacement crystal is genuine Omega. A lot of watchmakers will tell there is no difference between a genuine and a generic. But there is enough difference that the performance of the watch may be compromised if the generic one is inserted. The genuine crystal has a unique refector ring inside the edge of the crystal. And it will have a tiny Omega symbol in the middle of the crystal, on the underside. Value will not be affected if the genuine part is used.

propervinyl and mokofoko like this.
  5. Sgt_Bilko Apr 30, 2017

I didn't know a non original crystal could affect the performance, unless you mean something like water resistance, but that wouldn't be a real consideration on a vintage watch that shouldn't go anywhere near water.

My first thought is that the existing crystal could be markedly improved with some polywatch and it's a lot cheaper than a replacement. As others have said a replacement will not effect on the value as long as it's an Omega original.

6. bokbok Apr 30, 2017

I personally would buy some poly watch and keep the original one on. I just polished this one with poly watch 40 years of use noticed the chip on the plexi lol 20170427_170123.jpg

watch3s, mokofoko and flame like this.
  7. padders Oooo subtitles! Apr 30, 2017

Not true if as I suspect this is a v early 1950s model, they didn't have the symbol that early. The replacement may but the originals didn't. Your other points are valid though.

mokofoko likes this.
  8. mokofoko One sad panda Apr 30, 2017

Assuming it's not actually glass (OP's doesn't look like it), then I'd agree. Polywatch cleans up real nice after just a few minutes. Have to remember to carefully tape the edging though.

9. bokbok Apr 30, 2017

Doubt it will glass on that age watch more than likely plexi. Hence using poly watch [emoji23]

10. Sgt_Bilko Apr 30, 2017

I've never had a problem avoiding the case with polywatch, but perhaps it depends on the design. No harm in using a bit of tape if worried. It's wonderful seeing an old crystal brought back almost like new with just a few minutes of work.

11. mokofoko One sad panda Apr 30, 2017

I've had hesalite edging that needed some care, and it was really hard to avoid at least brushing against the speedmaster bezel. Had to tape it off. Wasn't worth the risk of a $300 replacement as I'm anal when it comes to bezels ;)

12. Sgt_Bilko Apr 30, 2017

Yes a Speedmaster would require a bit of extra care for sure. I've never tried polywatch on a Speedy, but found it pretty easy to manage on watches with more typical bezels.

mokofoko likes this.
  13. mokofoko One sad panda Apr 30, 2017

Polishing the hesalite on a speedy is easy as pie. Looks good as new. My tintin speedy has never been polished and I've kept a zagg protector on there from the start. I pulled the edging once and replaced it--but took a loop to my watches first, and my polished speedy's looked just as good as the tintin. I'm a huge fan of polywatch.

14. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Apr 30, 2017

It's related to how the movement locates in the case...the tension ring is stepped on many original crystals, allowing the dial and movement to go deeper into the case:

[​IMG]

If the tension ring is not stepped like this (most generic crystals are not) then the movement does not sit properly in the case. The issue is not related to water resistance at all.

Cheers, Al

propervinyl and mokofoko like this.
  15. propervinyl Apr 30, 2017

I never thought of this. It's like a system where each component holds the whole thing together.

16. blacktiger Apr 30, 2017

Good question though!