Forums Latest Members

Would changing day wheel decrease value of watch?

1. j.allen Sep 22, 2018

I have a Bullova Accutron tank style watch. I've only seen 2 or 3 of these and none of them had screws holding the case back in, they were all snap-in. This is a rare watch. The case # is 3-111288. The day wheel is in German and it dates to 1970. Would changing it to an American day wheel decrease the value of the watch? I have grown tired of looking at the days of the week in German.

thumbnail.jpg
  2. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Sep 22, 2018

As long as it is the correct part, and of the same vintage, shouldn’t affect value, unless you’re trying to sell it to a German.

Foo2rama likes this.
  3. j.allen Sep 22, 2018

I think it's a little big for my wrist, but I get compliments for it ALL the time (I only wear it a few times a month). I find I can't part with any watch that I own. I still don't wan't to interfere with it's collector's value. I truly have never seen another, so I think it's pretty cool to own a watch that is so rare.

4. Pun Sep 22, 2018

I’m relatively a novice here and whatever I’ve read so far shows that ANY change in the watch, for whatsoever reasons, would affect its value for collectors.

5. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Sep 22, 2018

Watches would have different day wheels depending on market even if the same model was sold world wide. A period correct wheel correct for the movement is no issue.

Theoretically with an extract seeing where the watch was delivered to might flag it. But it could have been changed in period. Pretty sure the omega part numbers for each movements day wheel was the same just with a different letter at the end denoting the language.

At the end of the day there is no way to tell if a watch left the factory as you see it today. Prove a 78 speedmaster didn’t get a new dial, hands, and bezel at a service in 1986.

All we can hope for is correct parts as we know them.

ext1, Pun, BenBagbag and 1 other person like this.
  6. j.allen Sep 22, 2018

Well, to be honest if I do ever decide to sell it (which I prob won't which is why I have 50 watches) it won't be scrutinized to that effect. It's been about 4 years or so since I've serviced it, but when I do I guess I'll change out the wheel. I'd love some input from a Bullova collector, but they will probably arrive at the same conclusion.

7. FreelanceWriter Sep 23, 2018

Just keep the original wheel and maybe give the buyer the choice of having it swapped back. In the case of the Grail in my avatar, I'd probably just have the original ones replaced to avoid losing potential buyers who might be turned off by seeing wheels of the wrong color and who could assume something much worse than my simple preference for white-on-black lettering. I have the right 1045 wheels in 4 different languages, including the original German wheels; and I'd probably give the buyer the choice of language.

8. rcs914 Sep 23, 2018

Rarity doesn't always equate to value either. There are watches where changing the date wheel might have an effect on the value, and there are watches where it is unlikely. While I'm not an expert, I believe that most Bulova watches fall into the latter category for the Accutrons, unless it's an Astronaut or a Space View. If you like it, and want to see the days of the week in English, I'd say have it switched out.

Foo2rama likes this.
  9. j.allen Sep 28, 2018

This is true rarity does not equal value. I rarely wear it because I've gotten so used to little 32mm Omegas and the like and it's heavy. This has really grown on me though and I get compliments every time I wear it. It's value however is only what someone is willing to pay for it. That being said I don't want to devalue it, but I wouldn't even part with it for 500 bucks anyway. I think that's the perfect answer- swap it and keep both wheels. If there is a person who is willing to pay $500 for it, they are the one who will know the days are supposed to be in German. It's pretty cool. I've never seen an Accutron with the case-back held on by screws. I'll post a pic later. I'd love to know what the original strap looked like, I just can't find any examples.

I have too many watches that I regret parting with, most of them Accutrons. It's a good way to make a little extra scratch though cuz you can buy them for next to nothing when they don't work and sell them for a couple hundred bucks and a few hours labor. What's really cool about about these is I stop obscessing about whether it gains or loses 2 seconds a day like I do with my autos. It's kind of a relief. Now I'm rambling :) I'm tired.