Forums Latest Members
  1. Peppe Jun 27, 2015

Hi

I have been thinking about getting a vintage dress watch for a while and like the "oversize" modells with 37mm+ diameter. Mainly due to size to be honest, not design.

Found this cal 266 from "the 60ies" on an auction site. Limited info and pics, but have asked for more. Any first impressions? Looks original? Untouched?

Input appreciated! uploadfromtaptalk1435438771283.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1435438778596.jpg
    Per

2. alam Jun 27, 2015

Never seen these dials with bling bling hour markers before...

::popcorn::

3. Peppe Jun 27, 2015

Neither have I... hence the need to ask you guys :) But then again I don't have the ref on this one so it's hard to check.

4. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Jun 28, 2015

I think @alam was suggesting that given he has never seen anything like that before, chances are it isn't original.::facepalm1::

Look at the unevenness of the hour markers around 6oclock and the Swiss made, it looks wrong.

5. Peppe Jun 28, 2015

Yepp... picked up on what he was suggesting :)

Hmmm... yea... you might be right. Thanks for letting me know. I don't have anything near your knowledge on these things, so I very much appreciate your input.

6. alam Jun 28, 2015

ugh ::confused2:: ::confused2:: I hope you don't make more important decisions in life from your interpretations of what others may be suggesting, specially on a brief written comment ::facepalm1::::facepalm1::

7. Peppe Jun 28, 2015

I was simply saying that I think understood what you where suggesting. Nothing more nothing less. Maybe I understood wrong. But as mentioned; you are most likely a lot more experienced than me and if you have never seen it... I have never seen them either so we are then two making that reflection.

I think it makes perfect sense to listen to other peoples opinions. How I interpret them and how valuable they are in my desicion process is something else.

I am thankful for all input.

8. Hijak Jun 29, 2015

One thing I notice right away is the second hand seems too long for the sub dial. That along with an iffy dial and no movement picture would have me passing on this.

Is that a Portuguese import mark on the ten o'clock lug?

9. Peppe Jun 29, 2015

Did just what you suggested... passed on it. Auction ended an hour ago, and I cannot help feeling that someone just got conned. Gut feeling was not right. Also the seller did not answer my request for more info. That alone would make me look for another piece.

Thanks for your input!

10. Hijak Jun 30, 2015

In the last six months or so there have been some very nice examples of these jumbo models for sale on the forum here, your patience will pay off!:thumbsup:

11. Peppe Jun 30, 2015

I know it will :) I am one of those guys who can scan the market for years looking for what I think is perfect. But than again I am always happy with what I get so... :) Negative side being that the wife get upset that I spend too much time searching and getting inspired ;-)

I will probably source one from this forum anyway since it gives a bit more comfort that you do not get conned.