Would appreciate help with this vintage Omega watch

Good morning,

I’m considering this vintage Omega watch offered by a local seller (online second hand watch store) in Korea for 870 USD. Caliber 1022, 23 jewels quickset, 35 mm.

It’s stated as being a seamaster though the dial doesn’t say seamaster but I understand that’s not uncommon?

All the parts are original including the strap.

Would this be a good deal in your opinion?

Are there things I should look out for? I requested a picture of the inside of the case lid.

I’m looking for a sturdy reliable watch with a nice sleek design that I can pass on to my daughter. I would like to own an Omega as they appear to be a good combination of aesthetics and functionality and longevity.

Thanks!

It’s a real 1022 Geneve, you get these on eBay for $300-500 typically

well, this looks like a Seamaster 166.0209 from mid/late 70s, $870 is on the high side for me, for the amount you can look at Seamasters from 50-60 in really good condition they are much more collectible or some ok Constellations too.

Looks nice but as other members said the price is a little higher. Regards.

Welcome to the forum,
you did well to post because buying a vintage watch is a minefield.
Learning to buy a proper watch and not get fleeced takes quite a bit of time.

So if this is just a “one off” purchase and you can afford it, you could save a lot of time by getting this one.

As a woman I agree this very pure and timeless look will look very nice on a young lady’s wrist. The dial is very pristine and the luminous plots have aged to a lovely pale gold color. No one knows what the fashion will be when your daughter gets to wear it, but presumably a watch is intended to be worn.

On the other hand, if you’re looking to invest in a “collectible” watch, you should know it’s very unclear what a watch like this might be worth in 20 years from now. It’s true for many watches, perhaps even more so for models that are more ‘under the radar”.

Keep in mind you’ll have to pay import duties depending on where you live.
And if you decide to search a bit more, you should read the sticky thread entitled “learn how to fish”, and post before you pull the trigger.
Edited:

Welcome to the forum,
you did well to post because buying a vintage watch is a minefield.
Learning to buy a proper watch and not get fleeced takes quite a bit of time.

So if this is just a “one off” purchase and you can afford it, you could save a lot of time by getting this one.

As a woman I agree this very pure and timeless look will look very nice on a young lady’s wrist. The dial is very pristine and the luminous plots have aged to a lovely pale gold color. No one knows what the fashion will be when your daughter gets to wear it, but presumably a watch is intended to be worn.

On the other hand, if you’re looking to invest in a “collectible” watch, you should know it’s very unclear what a watch like this might be worth in 20 years from now. It’s true for many watches, perhaps even more so for models that are more ‘under the radar”.

Keep in mind you’ll have to pay import duties depending on where you live.
And if you decide to search a bit more, you should read the sticky thread entitled “learn how to fish”, and post before you pull the trigger.

Thanks for your thoughtful reply. You’re right. I like this one because both men and women can wear it. It’s a sleek and clean design without falling into the crystals and diamonds category like you see with some modern ladies watches.

I only own one watch currently, a modern Oris. But I really feel attracted to a vintage watch.

I’m less concerned with it being collectable. And as we live in Korea, I wouldn’t have to pay duties and taxes which would be the case if I would go look for a better priced one in international sites.

I guess I’m most concerned whether it’s a good purchase quality/value wise.

The seller sent me two pictures of the inside. One unfortunately blurry.

As others have said, there is nothing wrong with it other than it’s not particularly collectible as a vintage piece and it’s overpriced. I think that in the long run you might be happier with a 1950s/1960s model, many of which are quite a bit more stylish and still in your price range. Here, for example, are photos of two vintage Seamasters that I purchased in the past. Both were priced similarly to the watch that you’ve posted.
upload_2023-7-19_8-45-4.jpeg

upload_2023-7-19_8-48-57.jpeg

I think that in the long run you might be happier with a 1950s/1960s model, many of which are quite a bit more stylish and still in your price range. Here, for example, are photos of two vintage Seamasters
upload_2023-7-19_8-45-4.jpeg

upload_2023-7-19_8-48-57.jpeg

With respect, “stylish” is in the eye of the beholder.
As a woman, I like the chubby lugged Seamasters but the first one above, even though it’s very pristine, looks very masculine to my old fashioned eye.
Of course in some years from now, the very notions of “feminine” or “masculine” may have evolved beyond our wildest imagination— but our current viewpoint is the only reference we have.
The question is what the OP feels like acquiring to pass on.

With respect, “stylish” is in the eye of the beholder.
As a woman, I like the chubby lugged Seamasters but the first one above, even though it’s very pristine, looks very masculine to my old fashioned eye.
Of course in some years from now, the very notions of “feminine” or “masculine” may have evolved beyond our wildest imagination— but our current viewpoint is the only reference we have.
The question is what the OP feels like acquiring to pass on.
That’s an absolutely fair point.

Hello there, Looking for info on the Omega Seamaster Calendar Rosegold (20 microns). Haven't found any watches with both bracelet and rosegold on the net, so if anyone has details, please share them with me. Thanks!"

PS to be even more fair, there is no logic even now to what feels too “masculine” or not, considering I
Like wearing chunky tool watches -

On a separate note- the OP should note that in terms of price and collectability, this watch at least has an original dial; unlike many restored dials being offered on Ebay by some dealers based in South Korea. Now those restored dial are overpriced— and devoid of value to the eyes of collectors.
Edited:

Hello there, Looking for info on the Omega Seamaster Calendar Rosegold (20 microns). Haven't found any watches with both bracelet and rosegold on the net, so if anyone has details, please share them with me. Thanks!"
Hi Abhi and welcome!
Please start a new thread for your watch.