Forums Latest Members

Would appreciate any thoughts/opinions on Speedmaster Mark II

1. cooney Feb 2, 2014

Just bought this via eBay and received it yesterday. A link to the auction is below. Watch appears to be working well and looks nice. I would appreciate any thoughts, comments, opinions on the purchase. My concerns are that the band is a fake. Very light weight compared to my other Mark II bracelet and end pieces are not stamped like my other bracket. Also, I'm not sure that the box is from the dame era as the watch. And the dial, my other Mark II has a T on either side of the SWISS MADE, this dial does not. Thank you all in advance for all comments.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/331114119046?txnId=935106645014Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. nyc863 Feb 2, 2014

keepthetime likes this.
  3. Joe K. Curious about this text thingy below his avatar Feb 2, 2014

The dial is a modern service dial. Bracelet appears to be a genuine 1162/173. I have seen many examples without any markings on the end pieces.

4. cooney Feb 2, 2014

Thank you for the info and links. I attempted to load better pictures of the watch I purchased, but I'm not sure they came through. The watch on Keep the Time didn't have a sale price, may I ask your opinion on what I paid?

keepthetime likes this.
  5. cooney Feb 2, 2014

Thank you sir. May I ask your opinion on the price I paid? Too much, fair?

6. Joe K. Curious about this text thingy below his avatar Feb 2, 2014

The racing version, which you bought, has quite variability in final sale price on eBAY. This appears to be dependent on condition. From your pictures it is a bit difficult to evaluate, but I think you paid at the upper range of fair. My 2c

7. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 3, 2014

The bracelet is not the orginal 70's version, but a service part from the 80's or later. That may be why it feels lighter than your other bracelet.

As already mentioned the dial is a service part. Also, I suspect the hands may be replacements too.

Prices on these seem to have been all over the place in the last year or so, with asking prices steadily increasing in the last couple of months. I'd say the price is ok for a watch you will wear regularly. As a collectible item it has no real attraction.

8. cpack Feb 3, 2014

I'm a beginner to this, but I've got a mark 2 that I know was never serviced to compare.

Things that stick out as different from my watch:

The dials orange indicator squares and omega symbol are more red/orange. (my watch: yello/orange)
    The chrono hands are more red/orange and the colors don't match perfectly. (my watch: chrono hands yello/orange and color matching)
    No 173 markings on the ends of the watch bracelet.

Based on those differences I think everyone is correct regarding the service dial/hands/bracelet.

I have seen a number of the more red/orange hands and dial markings on ebay so thanks everyone for letting me know they are omega service parts! Good info.

9. cooney Feb 3, 2014

I really appreciate your thoughts. I do intend on wearing this watch. While I didn't purchase this watch as a collectible, I do hope that if I decided to sell it down the road, I wouldn't lose money. Thanks again for your comments.

10. cooney Feb 3, 2014

Thank you for sharing, this is great to know. As I mentioned above, I do intend on wearing this watch. Knowing now that the watch has been overhauled, it would have been nice to have had the original parts included. Thanks again.

11. rolexfantastic Feb 4, 2014

The price is fine for this racing MK 2. The hands and dial are pretty expensive, over $300, the bracelet if new (modern replace, correct ref. etc.) would be ca. $170-$250.
    The case looks fine too, with the correct Omega finishing, crystal is probably new too.
    No worries you'd recover your investment, this is the most desirable MK2 version.

The only problem would be if someone would have replaced these parts from a previous black version (considering it's a bit under this "exotic" racing version), but an Omega Extract would let you know which dial version had this at origin.

12. cooney Feb 4, 2014

Omega Extract? I just googled that. Looks like Omega will search their records for info on the watches movement serial # and case #. What kind of information could I expect to find? I'm assuming it would only show service/repair info that was done at Omega? Is it worth it?

13. pascs Feb 4, 2014

The Omega Extract does tell you the colour of the dial that was originally supplied with that watch, I've not seen the extract for a MKII Racing but I'd assume it would say something other than just black dial.

Is it worth it? I would say probably not worth the effort, the dial you have now isnt the original anymore so its value as 'all original' is already lost. In my opinion it would only be worth it if you intended to replace the service dial with an original dial and nice original racing dials are hard to come by. There are plenty of good MKII black dials but not many racing dials.

But anyway you still have a nice looking MKII from 1969