Forums Latest Members

Worth selling my "modified" 2016 Speedmaster to buy a 1996 Hesalite sandwich?

1. Owlsu Aug 15, 2018

Hi, so I bought a typical standard Speedmaster from an AD in 2016 (.005 or whatever the reference is) but wasn't really happy with it over time in it's current state (mainly bracelet)...I sourced a 1499/842 bracelet for it and purchased a Thomas Preik sapphire caseback and am now very happy with how it's ended up. I wanted to see the movement but didn't want a sapphire front crystal, only rear.

I discovered however, the 3592.50.00 from specifically 1996 and realised this variant of the watch is pretty much exactly what I've tried to create myself. I love the caseback text on this and greatly prefer it to the ones from 1989-1995 with the Apollo XI stuff on them and lack of "Professional" and Omega logo. I also want it to have the 1499 as standard rather than the 1479 which only the model from 1996 does, since my wrists are 5.9 inches and the 1479 probably won't fit me since most vintage bracelets like the 1171 don't (too big even with all links removed). The 1499 is a flawless fit however.

If I sold my current Speedmaster I'd probably be adding about £1500 - £2000 to actually get this model in the configuration I want which seems like a lot for what it is in a way, plus losing £300-£400-ish on what my one cost me new.

Is it actually worth it for what I'm gaining? Which is pretty much just an official sapphire caseback rather than a custom one, a tritium dial, something relatively rare due to the short production period of about 1 year, an 863 gilt movement vs my 1861 and metal brake rather than delrin.

I'm kind of torn because I love the 3592.50.00 but I also know I can easily take my caseback off and put the steel back on then it becomes a "proper" Speedmaster, whereas the official sandwich model will always feel like one of those weird limited editions you buy when you already own the proper standard moonwatch already but never the real deal.

Pics for comparison of the two 3592.50.00 models as well as what my one basically looks like now (all grabbed off Google)

Omega_Speedmaster_Rueckseite.jpg

s490097580971589483_p194_i7_w2560.jpeg
    image32168.jpg

Edited Aug 15, 2018
  2. ext1 Aug 15, 2018

I say yes, because
    1) Resaleability. Much more people will be willing to buy off a 3592 from you than this mod you've made.
    2) I don't know if it bothers you, but, there is a delrin brake that shows in the normal 1861. cal 863 in the 3592 was meant for exhibition.
    3) The Priek caseback has a round edge and it bothers me to no end. If I were going for a sapphire back I would prefer the OEM version.
    Though, I've recently begun to move away from sapphire backs in speedys, because I'm starting to think it was a match that was never meant to be. Can you imagine if NASA would have tested the speedy if it had a sapphire caseback...? Goes against the tool-watch aesthetics & philosophy...
    4) You get a tritium dial instead of SLN! The vintage fun.

Traveler, Kmart, watch3s and 4 others like this.
  3. Owlsu Aug 15, 2018

Luckily what I did is very easily reversible, I mean changing the bracelet and caseback back is a 5 or 10 minute job with no damage caused or anything and I kept the original bracelet and steel back so resale wouldn't be an issue.

Yes I noticed the delrin brake, actually as soon as I put the sapphire caseback on I wondered why one single piece of the movement was stark bright white compared to everything else being silver. At certain angles it sticks out like a sore thumb and is obviously translucent plastic. I went for the Preik one mainly due to the ease of fitting it - it's pretty much an on and off job from what I've read - the official OEM Omega one required changing something to do with gaskets and fitting spacers or removing other things (possibly parts of the movement?) And is fairly complicated and harder to reverse quickly...not to mention the actual caseback was about 7x the overall cost!

The NASA bit is also my feeling, I mean sure I may love having the back now but what if someday I don't? It's very easy to reverse mine like I said and make it a normal "proper" Speedmaster again within minutes if I ever decide clear backs aren't for me anymore whereas turning a proper official hesalite sandwich into a normal steel back model could be very awkward and difficult if even possible which is kind of putting me off.

The other alternative is to turn mine into a normal model again and just buy the sandwich model as well then have two very different Speedmasters.

Modern, standard, luminova and Vintage, display back with tritium.

4. ext1 Aug 15, 2018

Just buy one official sapphire caseback speedy, and a nice pre-78 vintage speedy :D that will take care of everything.

In all seriousness though, it looks like to me the only reason why you like the one you have now is due to the fact it can fit to 10-minute whims. You should either live with this speedy that isn't really valuable to play around and keep changing backs, or graduate to a more valuable speedy that has the exhibition back and live with the back. Obviously you're right, the 3592 isn't a 10-minute conversion job. There's a reason for that. I think it wasn't meant to be a 10-minute job. I don't think you should be thinking about any conversion jobs if you get a 3592. If you like it for what it is, go for it, if not, don't, because you don't like it for what it is...

5. gostang9 Aug 15, 2018

Sounds like good advice from @ext1 .

If getting a second watch is an option, go that route. Watches are always more fun when you have more of them! If I were you, I’d convert your first back to original case back, sell the aftermarket exhibition caseback and get the Omega model with the exhibition back.

ext1 and Larry S like this.
  6. Reborn Aug 15, 2018

Actually this is quite subjective. I would prefer an original, "untampered" watch anytime, but that's me.

7. Ravineman Aug 16, 2018

its pretty clear you want another watch. The reasons why are quite minor IMO.
    If you can spend a bit more cash and be happier, you should !

you ask is it "worth it " Hard to answer because it's not on my wrist .... and it your money.

Reborn likes this.
  8. Dan S Aug 16, 2018

9. ptfly Aug 16, 2018

As a 3592.50 owner (late with gilt and professional) I would say yes. But depending on how much you have invested your current watch I think it may be a pretty costly move.
    I am surprised about the 1479 bracelet not fitting. If I removed all the links and tighten up at the clasp it seems it could be pretty small.

amiriqbal likes this.
  10. WatchVaultNYC Aug 16, 2018

3592.50 - my favorite Speedy.

ptfly likes this.
  11. mac_omega Aug 17, 2018

A clear "no" from me.

Why spend so much money for a very similar end result?

I would keep your modified watch and if you decide to sell it in the future you have all original parts to resurrect the original configuration.

For the money you save you can easily buy a nice vintage watch - much better way to spend this kind of money.

just my 2 cents

Buck2466 likes this.
  12. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Aug 19, 2018

I suggest you keep what you have as well. Even using Super Luminova, the lume on a Speedmaster is pretty dim. If that is a consideration, going to a worn out tritium that will never glow is a step down.

You might just put back on the original magnetic shield and caseback. You know what it looks like by now.

Tom