Forums Latest Members

Worth opening up watch just for regulation?

1. fast08 May 13, 2019

So a while ago (against my better judgement) I bought my current PO 2500 from Crown and Caliber. It came with no box no papers but at least very good cosmetic condition. At that time I didn't want to wait for a good one to surface on the private sale market so I took a bit of leap of faith thinking that their warranty / reputation is worth the premium.
    It's been a couple of weeks and the watch runs about +7 to +10s and I am a bit bummed by it. My Sub from 94' runs +2 per day and this watch, assuming seller serviced it before sale, should be capable of much better accuracy. So I took it to my trusted watchmaker to get it checked.
    Turns out the amplitude is fine and my watchmaker thinks that it's not worth the trouble now to open it up just for regulation. Of course he said he'd happy to take my money if I insist, his point is that it's better to wait for service due and get it done together. Any recommendations? I know this kind of posts are mostly written to convince oneself one way or another :) I kind of want to go with what the watchmaker recommends and just enjoy the watch as is.. but on the other hand the OCD side of me prevents that from happening ...
    IMG_20190513_093104.jpg

2. BenBagbag May 13, 2019

I think +7 seconds is good for an automatic watch.

89-0 likes this.
  3. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector May 13, 2019

Try leaving it in a few different positions overnight to see if you can regulate it this way. Might be easier and cheaper.

Foo2rama likes this.
  4. boraxman May 13, 2019

Leave it be and have it addressed at service time.

5. Vercingetorix Spam Risk May 13, 2019

Did you have it pressure tested? It may need to be opened if it doesn’t pass.

6. Watchongrave May 13, 2019

You might wanna try getting rid of magnetism with a little gadget.

7. fast08 May 13, 2019

On the timegrapher results, I think one of the position is +5, I will try to leave it like that at night

8. fast08 May 13, 2019

Forgot about asking for a pressure test .... good call

9. SantaCruz May 13, 2019

Could just need demagnetising maybe??

10. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. May 13, 2019

It’s time for a service anyways...

11. fast08 May 13, 2019

I thought magnetization typically results in much faster rate?

Motik likes this.
  12. Gasman May 13, 2019

I’m happy if mine runs plus or minus 5 minutes a week.

13. Bp1000 May 13, 2019

If it was magnetised you would probably see much higher gain.

The overnight position is your best bet I think.

Crown down is usually the best to stop any overnight gain. But it does differ from watch to watch.

Motik and fast08 like this.
  14. asrnj77 May 14, 2019

How much does your watch maker charge to regulate the movement? He said it’s not worth opening up but it takes 10 seconds to open up and I had my watch regulated while I waited. If it bothers you now it’s only going to bother you more later. I say either get the full service or find another watchmaker who can regulate the watch at a reasonable cost.

15. drhombus24 May 14, 2019

Are you still under the crown and caliber warranty?

16. fast08 May 14, 2019

He didn't mention cost but he did sound too enthusiastic about trying to convince me not to do anything with the watch. Opening the watch is fast but his concern was the work needed to reseal etc.. may be "just regulation" is too small of a job ?
    Anyway thanks for the comments. If I go with full service, I will probably go through Omega.

17. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 14, 2019

Please note that regulating a co-axial watch is a different thing that regulating a typical watch where you just turn a screw. If the watchmaker is not familiar with co-axial, they can easily damage the watch by turning the balance the wrong way during regulation.

Also regulating requires a specific tool from Omega that is used to turn two weights on the rim of the balance, and if they are not turned exactly the same amount, it could introduce a poise error on the balance. This isn't a 5 minute job...

Cheers, Al

keepitsimple, JimInOz and Bimmerman77 like this.
  18. JeremyS May 14, 2019

Amplitude looks good, but the watch is probably due for a service if it hasn’t been done before. I would have it all done at once. Then, you’re all set.

19. Evitzee May 14, 2019

I once had a Rolex Daytona fresh out of the box that consistently ran +6 sec/day. That would just be within COSC specs. I didn't bother to have the case opened up to regulate the movement. Anytime you open a watch you have the possibilities of a clumsy mistake which makes matters worse, or a scratched case. I'd just leave it until it needs service. Set it at a minute slow and in a week it will be close, then repeat.

20. Vix May 19, 2019

I wouldn't touch a piece at +7, no way.

Take it there, they open it, they regulate it, they water test it, I'm missing the piece, I go back to pick it up = massive hassle for one second beyond COSC.

fast08 likes this.