Forums Latest Members

Worth buying? Constellation 561 with new main spring and non-Omega crystal

1. cppc Mar 4, 2016

I have a chance to buy a 1966 constellation caliber 561 gold filled. It has been serviced recently so that it's very nice and clean. The problem is that the owner said he has replaced the main spring, and currently it has non-Omega crystal. He said he can install a plastic Omega crystal if I want, and the new main spring is Omega original as well. I'm pretty new to this so I'm wondering if anything fishy here. The price is about $1000. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Some photos attached. DSC_0004.JPG DSC_0005.JPG DSC_0012.JPG

2. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Mar 4, 2016

The Connie will be gold capped not filled (better quality)
    The main spring should be replaced with a proper service - so that's okay
    Again - its common to have the crystal replaced if it's scratch but It's generally recommended to have a genuine Omega crystal

cppc likes this.
  3. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Mar 4, 2016

What are your concerns OP? Your going to need better pics for comments on condition . For price advice look at eBay comparables.

4. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Mar 4, 2016

This looks like a nice watch -better pictures would help but dial looks correct
    It looks like a 168.004?
    But the case has seen some significant polishing - the lugs and bezel have lost their edges - they should be sharp
    - the gold also looks scratched all round the bezel and the back is very shiny
    Do you have any movement and case back pics?

For $1000 you should still be able to get a really nice version of this watch
    However - if it has been properly serviced (a full strip down) - you would require proof- this has a value of $200-300

If you are looking for a nice watch to wear this fits the bill
    If you are looking for a collectors piece that will maintain/ grow its value then I would pass on this one
    I personally don't care for the date magnifier on these watches - it detracts from the lovely simple lines of a round case dome dial Connie - but that is just a personal opinion
    Hope that helps

cppc likes this.
  5. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Mar 4, 2016

here is a later pink gold-capped 564 168.010 dome dial for comparison of the case condition
    new mainspring and Omega crystal after service
    IMG_3820-3.JPG

TNTwatch and cppc like this.
  6. ConElPueblo Mar 4, 2016

If the service mentioned in the advert is a proper service (replacing the mainspring, IMO, points to that), the price isn't completely bonkers. You may be able to find one in better, non-polished condition and have that one serviced, but as @Peemacgee says that will run to roughly $200-300. The dial has some minor spotting, the hands are a bit scruffy and the crown isn't the original, which will (as in the above picture) be more integrated in the case.

Overall, I'd say that while it might not be a collectors dream watch, it doesn't make me run away screaming ;)

Clicking on the photos opens them in much larger size, plenty good for assessing condition :)

cppc, Impondering and Foo2rama like this.
  7. al128 unsolicited co-moderation giverer Mar 4, 2016

I'd pass... way too licked... looks like a mint caramel after 5 min in your mouth. ..

Those watches are not exactly scarce... wait for a better one

8. arkstfan Mar 4, 2016

I've been looking at lot of similar Connies the past few weeks.
    Price is OK given the apparent recent service if you are only comparing vs other 561's as a generality.

But condition is critical unless you are talking something really hard to find. Those photos are very good but the impression from seeing what I can is it is a bit tired looking in hands and dial and over eagerly polished at some point.

With the recent service, if this a couple days a week or more on your wrist piece I'd be fairly comfortable with that price assuming the recent service but if you want a nice example of a 561 to collect and maybe flip a few years down the road patience is generally rewarded because there are so many of them out in the wild.

It doesn't excite me because it isn't unique and not a stellar example.

9. cppc Mar 4, 2016

Well great forum I didn't expect that many comments.

Yes it is 168.004 and your right Peemacgee it seems heavily polished, the lug and bezel area not sharp. And how do you know the crown not original from my (previous) photos ConElPueblo? One of my concern is that why the seller didn't put a genuine crystal on given that it's only around $30 - $40 more.

I plan to buy this as a gift for my in-law so cleanness is a pros here and not sure about flipping in the near future, but still it's best to find the most original that fits the bill. s-l1600.jpg DSC_0003.JPG DSC_0009.JPG DSC_0011.JPG Here are some other pics from sides and inside

10. ulackfocus Mar 4, 2016

The dial, crown, and case would have to be PERFECT to command that price - and they aren't so pass.

11. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Mar 4, 2016

Prices for Connies are rising - and dome dials are no exception
    But you can still get good examples at the price you quoted
    You just need to be patient - (possibly months not weeks) always a problem if you are looking for a gift with a deadline

BTW the crown on an .004 should be 'fully' recessed (hidden crown) like the .010 I posted above
    However there are lots of examples out there with protruding crowns -not sure if this style ever had an official variant - which could mean it's a replacement

12. ConElPueblo Mar 4, 2016

Exactly what @Peemacgee says :)

13. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Mar 4, 2016

Apologies @ConElPueblo
    Didn't mean to steal your thunder :)

14. ConElPueblo Mar 4, 2016

And here I was, formulating an exquisite answer :(

;)

15. cppc Mar 4, 2016

Again, really appreciate the quick replies from you all. I have decided to pass on this watch. I might not find one for my in-law this time but the next occasion is about 4 months away, hope that's enough time to find a good one.

@ConElPueblo & @Peemacgee : Thanks for the great tip. I also just learnt that there's an Omega logo in the middle of a genuine crystal. Hope to learn more from this forum.

16. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Mar 4, 2016

you are more than welcome @cppc

if you find anything that you like post the pics up here and I'm sure the members will be happy to critique the watch for you (there are many many sub-standard Connies out there)
    in the mean time -if you like Constellations -you might like to look at Desmond's amazing website -so that you can offer your thoughts on what you are posting too

http://omega-constellation-collectors.blogspot.ae

there are multiple case styles and movements -not just cal 561 .004s
    pie pans and dome dials -gold cap, stainless steel and solid gold -and they are all wonderful

ahartfie likes this.
  17. ConElPueblo Mar 4, 2016

Best of luck with your research! If you see anything offered for sale on here, snap it up ;)
    Regarding crystals, I wouldn't be too concerned if the Omega logo is missing, I'm not convinced that the difference (other than, possibly, aestheticly) is there. And that tiny logo costs a surprisingly large amount of money. Is it worth it on a less than exquisite example? I wouldn't say so, and it is probably the least important thing to be "right" about a watch, after case, movement, dial, crown and buckle.

18. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 4, 2016

If this was a pie pan I can see $1000. Considering you are California, as it is $800.

19. cppc Mar 4, 2016

Quick question: is there a constellation or seamaster that is manual instead of automatic? My in-law happens to prefer manual a bit more. Well, he has plenty of time so he wants to roll the crown every couple days ...

20. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 4, 2016

He can still wind his automatic every couple of days, nothing to stop him.

cppc likes this.