Forums Latest Members
  1. Kimi Ka Dec 27, 2018

Hello Everybody,

I found this piece belonging to my dad. Is it worth anything ? And where can I get it properly serviced ? image.jpg

datdat likes this.
  2. Mark020 not the sharpest pencil in the ΩF drawer Dec 27, 2018

Anything: yes. Much: nope

Lonestar and Kimi Ka like this.
  3. zwjk Dec 27, 2018

Not worth much monetarily but it is priceless sentimentally ;)

mikekchc, Kimi Ka and Syrte like this.
  4. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Dec 27, 2018

Exactly and that's the important part.
    One thing that's interesting is that it's got an automatic movement.

Where to get it serviced depends on where you live.
    The best and cheapest way is to find a professional independent watchmaker that's local to you.
    Longines service would be way too expensive for this watch.

If you tell us what country / city you live in, perhaps someone can recommend a watchmaker.

Best regards,
    S

Kimi Ka likes this.
  5. Kimi Ka Dec 27, 2018

I live in Southern Calfornia (Irvine). The dial looks damaged and the movement isnt winding properly. Money isnt really an issue but I think the swatch group service center isn’t equipped to fix it.

Thank You

6. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Dec 27, 2018

"money isn't really an issue"? You mean for you it's the same thing if the service costs 250 or 400 or 600 dollars?
    One important question is whether your father loves the watch and would like to wear it, or whether you would.
    Because the cost of service is probably going to exceed the monetary value of the watch.

It's worth it if indeed the watch has sentimental value as a gift or an inherited watch, or if you really like it.

We have a few members in California here @abrod520 @merchandiser @X350 XJR @hotsauz @Seiji maybe they have local watchmakers to recommend.

raider44, Foo2rama and Radiumpassion like this.
  7. abrod520 Dec 27, 2018

I'm in Northern California but there are a couple of high-end shops in LA - LA Watchwerks, ABC etc. but as far as I know they tend to focus more on the higher-end stuff. They might happily accept your watch though so check it out

Kimi Ka likes this.
  8. Dan S Dec 27, 2018

The OP didn't actually say that the watch had sentimental value. My father owned a lot of things, and not all of them are important to me.

@Kimi Ka, does it have importance to you? If not, I think that your money might be better spent elsewhere.

9. Kimi Ka Dec 27, 2018

Not Really, I just think it’s a really pretty watch

10. mikekchc Jan 15, 2019

What model is this piece?

11. argonbeam Jan 16, 2019

I can't tell from the pic provided, but this could contain a 994 movement. the 99x series was the last in-house auto movement Longines produced. The bottom of the dial should have a 994 SWISS xxxx (model number). Automatic with date function and no second hand is appropriate for a 994 (the other 99x had variations of hands/date, etc). The dial would be appropriate for the late 70's, early 80's as well. This is a quality movement, and if you like the look of the watch, the movement is solid and I would vote to service and enjoy it. Any good watchmaker should be able to open the case and confirm, if you aren't able or comfortable doing so (no shame in that - some of my watches only get opened by my watchmaker).

12. Kimi Ka Jan 17, 2019

Originally, the serial number 18'245'xxx identifies a wristwatch in plated gold bearing the reference 4184, part of the Flagship collection. It is fitted with a Longines mechanical self-winding movement, caliber 994 and was invoiced in September 1977 to the Swiss Market.

13. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jan 17, 2019

Please feel free to message me. I’ve got a few good resources local. I grew up in Irvine and live in Newport now.