Forums Latest Members

Worn out titanium bracelet, really?

1. smumf Aug 10, 2015

Hi,

I took my titanium Seamaster (circa 2000) to an official Omega service center for maintenance and was informed that the titanium bracelet was worn out beyond repair. I expected to replace the clasp ($320) and the tubes (included in the $525 maintenance cost) but was shocked to learn that its possible to wear out a titanium bracelet that has been attached to this always-functioning watch. Are there any experts who might share with me whether something could go so wrong with the bracelet as to render it truly irreparable? I was wearing it when I walked into the service center. I believe the bracelet is question is a 1503-825.

2. Canuck Aug 10, 2015

This happens to lots of bracelets of any design or material if worn LOOSE on the wrist! Whether being worn loose is the cause of your problem, I don't know. But it is often a factor. Not repairable? How does one renew the worn metal components?

3. kbutler1 Aug 11, 2015

Any pictures available?

4. Kringkily Omega Collector / Hunter Aug 12, 2015

Well the tubes and stuff are steel which is harder than titanium so flexing and wearing it can cause wear such as stretching. Depends on how much they might try and sell you a new bracelet (expensive is my thought)

5. omegawatchlvr Aug 12, 2015

I have the same issue with my bracelet not only are the pins and tubes loose but also the actual 9 rows of the links have play in them. It actually doesn't bother me I only notice it when the watch is of the watch box pillow, and on my wrist it's tight not loose. I just keep my eyes open for a bracelet on the bay. As a side note I thought titanium was harder than steel an ultra light.

David

image.jpg image.jpg
  6. Canuck Aug 12, 2015

Another factor that affects bracelet life expectancy is wearing the watch below the wrist joint, where the wrist bends. This is often a symptom of wearing a watch too loose. I recommend wearing the watch ABOVE the wrist joint, and to adjust it so that it stays put, even during periods of heightened activity. All this based on 35 years in the retail jewellery business, and having dealt with thousands of people with watch bracelet problems.

Eve likes this.
  7. omegawatchlvr Aug 12, 2015

I agree Canuck, this position you mention also avoids the screw digging into your hand.

8. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Aug 12, 2015

The most important thing is to clean the bracelet regularly. Trust me even when they look clean there is a pile of dirt between the links and in with those pins, and that is like abrasive paste that grinds away at the metal. People always talk about "bracelet stretch" which is a term that bugs me, because it's not stretched, just worn.

If you saw the crap at the bottom of my ultrasonic tank after cleaning what appears to be a "clean" bracelet, you would be amazed...

Keeping it clean will do more to extend the life than anything.

Cheers, Al

michaelmc and M'Bob like this.
  9. z1109r Aug 17, 2015

Hairshampoo will do just fine:thumbsup: Every morning we take a shower together, it´s so simple...

jhondo likes this.