Forums Latest Members
  1. TEdwards Jul 3, 2012

With an otherwise clean looking Seamaster from the early 60's, what's the significance of a crown worn to the extent that the omega logo is difficult to see?

Is it just the result of years of being worn under a shirt cuff?

I assume it can be replaced, but would it violate the integrity of the watch?

I guess there are always compromises and I'll never find a perfect Seamaster from that era.

2. ulackfocus Jul 3, 2012

If the crown is replaced with the correct one it's fine with 99% of Omega collectors. The dial is the biggest concern we have. Many consider the crown as a wear item. Maybe not as a typical thing repaced during a service like a gasket, but it's no big deal to me if the crown is new.

3. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Jul 3, 2012

Crown no biggie - SM crowns from the 1950s and 60s are easy to source and in a 50 year old watch is considered a wear item as dennis stated above.

4. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 3, 2012

Perfectly normal and acceptable. In many cases a collector would prefer a replaced crown to the worn original. Sure if the watch is in pristine condition it is nice to have a pristine original crown as well, but this is often not the case. Another consideration is that many watches that are considered vintage have seals or o-rings in the crowns. Leaving an old crown with worn-out seals on the watch can expose the movement to water and other contaminants that can do damage. In any event you can maintain the old crown and pass it on if you turn the watch over to someone else.

5. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jul 3, 2012

I'll give a little different spin to my answer. While most would not consider a replacement crown a violation of integrity, original is always better if possible. A good watchmaker knows how to replace a gasket inside an original crown in order to preserve it.

A lot depends on the particular model of the watch. Some crowns have no modern replacement (Seamaster XVI) or the one now supplied by Omega is markedly different from the originals (some Constellation Pie-Pans). On other models, there is no difference at all.

Most collectors expect crowns to have been replaced. If a watch comes with a good condition original crown it is likely worth a small premium in the marketplace. A old worn through gold-plated crown is unattractive and will reduce the value.

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa

6. TEdwards Jul 3, 2012

All

Once again - thanks for your advice.

I'm off shopping... :)

7. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 3, 2012

Good luck and don't do anything we would not do..........Mmm...wait a minute. Never mind, just good luck. :D