Forums Latest Members

World travellers of OF - Advice for Rhodes, Greece

1. astrand Jul 12, 2019

Hi OF,

This is a shot in the dark, but my wife and I bought a last minute trip to Rhodes and I wonder if anyone has any personal experience with this area or know if any "must do" restaurants or tourist attractions?

We won't have access to a car so I assume it shouldn't be anything too far off the beaten path.

Thanks in advance!
    Alex

blubarb likes this.
  2. Adb_85 Jul 12, 2019

Hey Alex. Where are you staying on Rhodes? I've been a fair few years ago and stayed near Lindos town which was good in the evening to wander around before and after a meal, loads of restaurants to choose from. From memory there was also a decent restaurant right in St Paul's Bay on the shoreline. We went in the evening when the beach had quietened down and it was a lovely setting

Or head to Faliraki to see some real sights ::psy::::puke::::facepalm1::

Have a good trip!

astrand likes this.
  3. Davidt Jul 12, 2019

Can thoroughly recommend Lindos and St Paul's Bay. Beautiful.

Nathan1967, blubarb and astrand like this.
  4. astrand Jul 12, 2019

Seems the hotel is located about 10 minutes to the west of Rhodes, along the beach. So, northeast tip of the island.

Thanks for the advice!

5. astrand Jul 12, 2019

Thanks!

6. Stufflers Mom Jul 12, 2019

The walled old town in Rhodes is full of watch shops and bars, I'm sure there was other stuff as well but I didn't notice.

7. astrand Jul 12, 2019

Ah great news, my wife will be pleased :D

I'm not much of a "lay on the beach all day" kind of guy, so now I'll have something for me!

Thanks!

8. blubarb Jul 14, 2019

Rodos (AKA Rhodes) is named after the roses on the island, but they are really hibiscus. Seem to be everywhere. I have been many times (family is from a nearby island - Castellorizo) and it's one of my favourite Gk islands in the Dodecanese group. Definitely get to the Lindos, the old city (oldest occupied medieval walled city in Europe) if you can find a place to stay in the old city.See also the Antelopes at the entrance to the Mandraki harbour where the Colossus of Rhodes stood (One of the original seven wonders). The new city is okay, but watch out for packs of dogs looking for food if you're out before 6am, they are pretty much harmless but they look otherwise. The Castle of St Nicholas where St John wrote his letters of the New Testament. Lots of ferry tours to nearby islands. The Light and Sound show isn't too bad and you can learn a bit about the Knights of Saint John. Of course wear an Omega, the Greeks are crazy about Omegas for obvious reasons. :D Ancient Kamiros is worth a visit and so is the butterfly valley. Have a wonderful time. Jealous already. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Ps. Try a Turkish Hookah in the bars - no...no...the fruit scented smoking kind and definitely not the tobacco kind as you'll cough up your lungs for days to come. Oh and if you are interested in literary things then Lawrence Durrell's house is on Alexandrou Diakou street and I think they were working to make it a museum. Also the Pashas burial chamber is worth looking at.

Pss. My avatar is from Johnny's bar

Yassou and enjoy!

https://www.tripadvisor.com.au/Attractions-g189449-Activities-Rhodes_Dodecanese_South_Aegean.html

Screen Shot 2019-07-14 at 8.30.13 PM.jpg

Edited Jul 14, 2019
    George.A, Nathan1967, OWa and 2 others like this.
  9. blubarb Jul 14, 2019

Btw, just FYI, Rhodes has the lowest crime rate in Europe - you'll be and feel as safe as houses. Any problems with sellers just tell them you'll contact the Tourist Police and attitudes will change immediately. The only crime comes when the tourist boats flock in and some idiot types try and shop lift. Don't forget it's a TAX FREE island so visit the local Omega boutiques or dealers :D:D

astrand likes this.
  10. astrand Jul 14, 2019

Wow thank you so much for the information. We were meant to fly out this morning but our flight was bumped to tomorrow.

I will show your post to me wife, as we really have no plans made so far. I will definitely visit a few of the dealers with my omega on!

Thanks Again,
    Alex

blubarb likes this.
  11. loniscup Jul 14, 2019

I'm Greek, 44 years old and since I was 19-20 I travel to a different island/s every summer. Never go to the same one as I want to "feel" them all.
    Not once I had a "dangerous" incident nor my friends that vist them too all those years ever had one.
    Every one of the islands is safe and mentioning crime rates is...to be polite...weird!! Greek people are high in hospitality and you rarely hear of crimes at all during the summer season. If something happens, it's usually in places high in young visitors aka Faliraki :rolleyes: where they drink 10 bottles of beer each and do stupid things.

To the OP: You will have a great time, Rhodes is a wonderfull island, high in tourism so you can find everything regarding food, sea, afterhours etc... It is a con you won't have a car as the magic of the islands is exploring magical beaches, taverns not known to tourists ;) etc
    Have fun!!

blubarb likes this.
  12. blubarb Jul 14, 2019

"mentioning crime rates is...to be polite...weird!!"

Fair enough, but just something for the Island to be proud of, it's sometimes a concern for some holiday makers.

loniscup likes this.
  13. Adb_85 Jul 15, 2019

Just remembered we did a boat trip to Symi island from Rhodes and would definitely recommend that. Only stopped in the harbour there for a few hours but it was lovely

14. Adb_85 Jul 15, 2019

And let us know how you get on! Unless the recommendations were cr&p...!

15. Stufflers Mom Jul 15, 2019

A boat trip is a good day out, when we were there we went to Marmaris Turkey for the day.

blubarb and Nathan1967 like this.
  16. Adb_85 Jul 15, 2019

17. loniscup Jul 16, 2019

Ahhh Symi is paradise ::love::::love::

18. whippetman01 Jul 17, 2019

Went there yesterday!
    Fantastic island! D06AFE27-2D54-474B-8A45-63E498FA6CFE.jpeg 84A480DB-E7F9-44CE-AAB5-D257DAAB5F07.jpeg FC1FCF81-0597-4F96-8F13-D7B20A909131.jpeg 74027191-C03C-4AD9-BCDF-427A6A898162.jpeg

loniscup and blubarb like this.
  19. donashby Jul 17, 2019

Symi is beautiful, they filmed some of the movie “The Big Blue” there.

20. astrand Jul 17, 2019

Great views from the hotel room. Will be going into Rhodes this afternoon and taking a boat to Lindos on Friday. 20190716_131859.jpg 20190715_191213.jpg

loniscup likes this.