Forums Latest Members

World Timer and Daylight Savings Time law

1. 7enderbender Mar 16, 2022

So, I have an interest in eventually adding the AT World Timer. If I understand it correctly, it has color markings to indicate regions that are not on DLST. That might soon be true for the United States if the bill that just passed the Senate goes through the House and signed law. That would render the dial as it is right now incorrect, right?

2. texasmade Mar 16, 2022

It would make much more sense to get rid of DLST permanently rather than make DLST permanent.

flw, Donn Chambers and s0ckpupp3t like this.
  3. s0ckpupp3t Mar 16, 2022

I agree it’s madness! I blame Big Candy and the Halloween Lobby who want to maximize trick or treating daylight hours.

apsm100, Paedipod, Woodlands and 2 others like this.
  4. mrbreen Mar 16, 2022

Except that DST starts in November. So you can blame the outdoor hobbyist interests instead (say, the golf industry in Florida). DST currently runs for 65% of the year, so for most of the US it’s the norm for most of the year. There are arguments for and against it (and I lean pro-DST year round for the record), but if the accuracy of World Time watches is something that tips the scales then god help us all ;)

Tekashi_145.022 and ChiefMark like this.
  5. alinla Mar 16, 2022

That's my understanding as well. All current World Timers would become antiques, maybe that's the wrong word. It'll be interesting to see the industry react, if they do at all.

6. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Mar 16, 2022

I too like DST year round better than DLST. I like my light to last into the evening rather than start at 6 AM.

lando and Bobcat Sig like this.
  7. s0ckpupp3t Mar 16, 2022

Correction — DST ends in November AFTER Halloween. :)

mrbreen likes this.
  8. Bobcat Sig Mar 16, 2022

Same.

Whatever the case as long as the forward-back changing of the clock ceases forever; I'm good with it.

ChiefMark likes this.
  9. ChiefMark Mar 16, 2022

The whole “ending DST” thing is a conspiracy of the Illuminati and watch speculators planning on driving up the prices on worldtimer watches that will be instantly “collectable” because they harken back to days of yore when we changed the time twice a year.
    ::bleh::

YY77 and joeshoup like this.
  10. Dan S Mar 16, 2022

I think it's also related to municipal water fluoridation. ::stirthepot::

DaveK, Scarecrow Boat, richiv and 2 others like this.
  11. 7enderbender Mar 22, 2022

That was exactly my point, not so much the pros and cons of DLST - but the fact that if this passes the US will be an outlier compared to most of the rest of the world and times and timezones will be off - and all existing worldtimers, many software and hardware tools etc will be non functioning as designed.

12. ChiefMark Mar 22, 2022

But... we won't be an outlier. We (the United States) are an outlier now. Only 40% of countries across the globe practice daylight savings time, and whether by population, land mass, or number of nation states, countries practicing it are in the minority. It's really just North America less a few states/provinces, a couple countries in South America, and Europe. Two countries in the middle east and parts of Australia. Asia and Africa don't participate. (Let's not get into semantics about how the Middle East is actually Asia... I know)

47794508_403.png

13. 7enderbender Mar 22, 2022

Well, in my book that 40% equates the vast majority of places that would ever be relevant to me and most other people who seriously be interested in a $10,000 watch with a worldtimer complication. And yes, the US would become an outlier since this is not about getting rid of DLST - but making it permanent. I'm not sure if there is any other place that has done that.

14. ChiefMark Mar 22, 2022

Umm... that's a distinction without a difference. It's simply a matter of no longer changing the clocks twice a year. "Standard Time" is a misnomer because it's only 4 months of the year. The other 2/3 of the year we are on "Daylight Savings Time." So which one we make permanent is semantics. The point is to stop changing the clocks twice a year because reasons.

15. ChiefMark Mar 22, 2022

Edit: I had shortened 7enderbender’s quote for space. In order to not have inadvertently changed the meaning; I’m updating to include the entire quote.

@7enderbender - another note briefly... you say that
    In fact, Asia, and China specifically, is the largest market for Swiss luxury watches on earth. They don't do DST.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/14/fashion/watches-china-swiss-export-leader.html

Edited Mar 22, 2022
    gostang9 likes this.
  16. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Mar 22, 2022

If you are going to change anything ——— Hello —— Metric system

17. 7enderbender Mar 22, 2022

i will refrain from commenting on that. And it remains to be seen I guess.

I personally would find it highly problematic - and maybe telling - that our times zones would be in sync with Russia, China, and the Middle East - but not with Western Europe, the inhabited parts of Australia, our immediate neighbors…

But again, my question was how this would be addressed on something like the AT worldtimer that is color coded for places that don’t have DLST. It would now need a third color for the US if the law passes that we’ll now be on permanent daylight savings time.
    I saw some news reports today that this may not even go up for a vote in the house. So maybe it’s all a moot point in the end - and literally a first world problem.

(great job also editing the quote to give it a completely different meaning).

18. Jantar Mar 22, 2022

Came here for this. Was not disappointed.

STANDY likes this.
  19. ChiefMark Mar 22, 2022

Didn't intend to change the meaning. I’ll edit it to include your full statement. I was going for brevity and the gist of your thought.

I don’t see how our time zones - which would still differ from the eastern hemisphere nations by several hours to over 12 - would in any way be “in sync with” those nations.
    I guess Arizona and parts of Indiana are “in sync with” Russia and China?
    I couldn’t agree more that it’s a first world problem.

20. PandaSPUR Mar 22, 2022

Our timezones arent even in sync with Europe right now anyway. Europe makes the jump to DST two weeks after the US does.
    Its stupid and fucks up my calendar when I have international meetings right before/after domestic meetings.

9AM meeting with London, 10AM meeting locally was fine a few weeks ago. Now they're overlapping at 10AM until Europe makes the jump on the 26/27th.

YY77 and kkt like this.