Forums Latest Members
  1. default Jul 10, 2017

Did anyone of you consider working for an auction house (christies, sothebys) as a due diligence manager in the watch sector? As im reading through the forum posts and all of the complaints about incorrect watch parts or redials advertised i am sure they would be interested in having an employee that prevents them from incorrect or sloppy descriptions. I believe that auction houses are currently not on todays standards involving macro photography and all of the research information available.

olgito likes this.
  2. olgito Jul 10, 2017

That really make sense. If this market is growing up, they will need to work with more knowledge people. The watches are very expensive and there is no place for a mistake imo.

3. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Jul 10, 2017

Ha ha

They don't want to know

Really.

4. Davidt Jul 10, 2017

Why ruin a perfectly enjoyable hobby by making it a full time job?

propervinyl, Syrte and Vitezi like this.
  5. arcadelt Jul 10, 2017

They already have them. Use your favourite search engine to search for "xxx watch department", replacing xxx with the name of the auction house. You can generally find some details of the teams, and then you can search the web on the individuals to find their biographical details, which should include their credentials.

Like most employees, they are professionals who do their best to do their jobs well, but of course will get it wrong from time to time. However, what we all need to remember is that auctioneers and resellers (in all fields) work firstly in the interests of the organisation they work for and then for the sellers - buyers are a little way down the pecking order. The aims of the organisations and sellers generally align, the prime being to maximise sales prices because that is what maximises profits. To achieve this they spend a lot of money creating interest in auctions and lots. Unfortunately sometimes accuracy works against their marketing so it's just better to gloss over faults and ignore problems.

Here are some examples of the people in question:

IMG_2890.PNG
    https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/understanding-the-omega-speedmaster-professional

IMG_2891.PNG
    https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/paul-maudsley

IMG_2892.PNG
    https://www.huntsmansavilerow.com/celebrating-craftmanship/

Edited Jul 11, 2017
    Foo2rama likes this.
  6. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Jul 10, 2017

Furthermore, a number of those people are easily reachable on Instagram and there are people who tell them of problems being discussed on forums. I know of at least two instances during the big Geneva auctions when some of those individuals were notified of glaring problems before an item was put on sale.
    So I don't think lack of knowledge is the issue.

Jwit likes this.