Forums Latest Members

Wondering If Anyone Can Help Me With Some Info On My Grandfather's Watch

1. IllinoisVette Mar 25, 2013

I recently inherited a Longines watch that was my grandfathers. It had been in a safe deposit box since at least the 1970s. The original band (an expansion bracelet) had broken so I had a very good jeweler here in Chicago go through the watch for function and install a nice leather band. Please take a look at the pictures and let me know if you have any info on when the watch was made (I'm assuming the 1940s) and what model it might be. Thanks in advance.

Watch pictures 002.JPG Watch pictures 005.JPG Watch pictures 006.JPG
    LouS likes this.
  2. MyVintageOmega Mar 25, 2013

Well ...it certainly has some interesting lugs. Any photos of the back or movement...some ref:#s would indeed help.

3. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Mar 25, 2013

I'm no longines expert, but that is a beautiful watch! did the jeweller actually service the movement (i.e. take it apart, oil each piece, put it back together)? If not, please DO NOT use the watch until it has been serviced, as without oil, you risk doing damage to the watch. with a new crystal, that will look spectacular.

4. IllinoisVette Mar 25, 2013

He did do a full service on it (to the tune of almost $600 including the new band). I'll have to get some pictures of the back of it, but I don't have any of the movement and I'm not qualified to take the back off to take any. Thanks for the info so far.

5. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Mar 25, 2013

I'd say grandad was a pretty serious watch playa. That's a beauty in very good condition - not many like that around. It'll be either a 13ZN or a 30CH movement. I'm wagering a 13ZN based on the likely age of the watch. The watch isn't going to have a model name, as not many did in that time. It will have a reference number but this is most likely to be on the inside caseback. Your watchmaker didn't happen to photograph or otherwise record these or the movement number while he was in there, did he?

6. IllinoisVette Mar 25, 2013

LouS,

I'm going to have to take a look at the paper work. I don't think he did. I really wish I had asked him to grab a photo while he was in there.

As for the movement, it is definitely a manual wind without any sort of "clutch" to prevent over winding. I'm certainly not wearing this every day, but when I do, I have to be very careful to pick up on the spring getting tighter as I wind it. A full wind (and I'm conservative on what I would call a full wind to avoid any over winding) gives me about a day of reserve.

Thanks

7. AJDay Mar 25, 2013

Very interesting watch! I like it.

Doesn't look like he replaced the crystal during service? ::confused2::

8. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 25, 2013

Dennis hopefully has some more details being a Longines fanboy at heart

9. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Mar 25, 2013

It would have been nice to see the hallmarks and casemakers poincons just to verify an original swiss case too, in light of the very unusual design. Can I suggest you stop in at the watchmaker and have him pop the back for you to snap some pics? Take a whole lot of them of both caseback and the movement.

That;s consistent with either the 13ZN or the 30CH. I guessed 13ZN just because the design elements look more consistent with a watch of that era than that of the later 30CH. Regardless, you've got a rare and lovely piece there.

Have you any idea when your grandfather might have bought it, or where?

10. IllinoisVette Mar 25, 2013

Yeah, he asked about that and I told him not to. A bit of sentimental value to those scratches I guess. I wouldn't have had the band replaced if the old one wasn't broken (they did give me the old one back though).

11. Dablitzer Mar 25, 2013

It's really lovely, those lugs are devilish..::facepalm2::

12. IllinoisVette Mar 25, 2013

Likely purchased in Dallas, Texas in the 1940s. Unfortunately everyone who could tell me for sure is gone. It could have been as late as the 1950s, but my mother remembers it being earlier.

13. AJDay Mar 25, 2013

Makes sense, it seems to be in decent nick. Would be amazing if it's original to the watch...

14. IllinoisVette Mar 25, 2013

I'll have to do that, it just didn't occur to me when I had it serviced. Thanks.

15. ulackfocus Mar 25, 2013

I'm away from my resources, but LouS is correct that it's either a 13ZN or 30CH. I would bet it's a 14ct case if bought in the US, and would have an LXW mark on the balance since the movement was likely imported to Longines' NY plant. It still could be an 18ct case that came straight from Switzerland too. Only way to tell is to look at the movement and the inside of the caseback.

BTW, that's a FANTASTIC heirloom!

16. IllinoisVette Mar 25, 2013

Everyone,

Thank you very much for the information. I'll take the watch back by and ask them to take the back off for me. I'll post the photos in this thread when I get them.

17. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Mar 25, 2013

Bingo. I found your case in page 152-3 of Goldberger. It is a Cal 13ZN. The example in Goldberger, which is a single pusher version, is manufactured in 1936, so very consistent with what you know about this watch. The case appears to be Swiss rather than American and 18K gold. Dial is very different - one of the cut-out dials popular in the late 1930s.

When you do open it, the casemaker's hallmark should be hammerhead-140.

better and better....

IllinoisVette likes this.
  18. IllinoisVette Mar 25, 2013

Wow, thank you so much. That is exactly the information I was hoping to confirm. I'll get those pictures of the inside of the case and check for the marks.

19. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 25, 2013

What's the case size on this?

20. IllinoisVette Mar 25, 2013

I'm keeping it in my safe deposit box for now, I'll get the measurement and post it in the thread tomorrow.