Forums Latest Members
  1. keita Aug 17, 2014

I have searched the web and I don't seem to be able to get the answer I want so if would appreciate some input from the experts.

I have several mechanical watches and I rotate them weekly or so.

What are your opinions on whether keeping them on winders or not? It's a bit of a pain to readjust time/date and rewind when I want to use a dead watch, but then I've also read that constantly keeping it moving may be bad for wear and tear but I've also read that it's better to keep them moving. Thoughts?

LeDave likes this.
  2. LeDave Aug 17, 2014

Excellent question, I have the same thought a long time ago but never really brought it up or asked about it. Thanks for asking, I have the same curiosity as you do.

3. CdnWatchDoc Aug 17, 2014

I have a 2 watch winder, and keep a 1970s Rolex DJ on it; makes it a lot easier than trying to change the date when I want to wear it. Most of my other mechanicals are worn in rotation, so they sit for a fairly short time. The non-date pieces do not get a ride; although one could argue that "winding" will help with lube distribution, I find there is no compelling evidence for this. And I keep records as to which watch has been serviced when...we should hear from several members on the merits and drawbacks of winders. :confused:

4. woodwkr2 Aug 17, 2014

If it's a vintage piece, just remember that you're putting wear and tear on vintage parts. If they require replacement, you or your watchmaker will be looking for vintage replacement parts.

The idea that you need to keep a watch in constant use to prevent the oils from congealing was a problem back in the early 1900s when they were using natural lubricants (think whale tallow oil). With a modern, synthetic oil from Moebius, that's simply not a problem.

I own many watches and not a single automatic winding box. If I ever get one, it will be for repair and testing purposes only.

5. Hijak Aug 17, 2014

+1 on that, I have quite a few watches as well but enjoy setting them for the new day...it only takes a couple of minutes at most.

6. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Aug 17, 2014

I only keep my modern autos on a winder. As I only wear my vintage autos once a month each (as a maximum) I'd rather put the stress on the winding and setting mechanism than the auto mechanism. Having said that, I do run a freshly serviced vintage on the winder for a month, just to make sure it is running correctly.