Forums Latest Members
  1. bigsom Aug 20, 2016

Was just browsing some of the recommended ebay sellers (listed here on the forum) and came across this listing. The dial looks gorgeous to me. I don't really know much about Wittnauer. Some light reading suggests an american based watch company with this era watch likely having a longines movement. Looking on OF and some of the other forums, it seems that this price is a bit high - but not outrageous. What do you guys think?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WITTNAUER-V...887563?hash=item1eb624db0b:g:slgAAOSw3YNXXw0SPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

Tik-Tok of Oz likes this.
  2. Canuck Aug 20, 2016

Bestfit calls that a Venus caliber 188 as per this listing from Dr. Roland Ranfft's movement archive. You should probably figure servicing the watch into your decision as to yea or nay. Not a Longines movement. Seller has 100% positive feedback. Might be worth a punt. What are his return policies?

image.jpeg

Edited Aug 20, 2016
  3. redpcar Aug 20, 2016

Seller has a bunch of cool watches listed. Probably has a very good idea of "market price". Seems high to me but I'm more of a bottom feeder ;)
    At that price, I don't see it disappearing any time soon. If you really like it, send him a fair offer

4. bigsom Aug 20, 2016

Thank you guys for the replies. Yes Canuck, it certainly does look like that Venus 188 you posted.

I've asked him what the service history is on the watch. There are some others on ebay with the word "professional" on the dial. These appear somewhat newer than the version he has.

I probably need to read more and learn a bit more about the brand and the history before deciding on making an offer. The Wikipedia page for Wittnauer was a little sparse. Their newer watches aren't as appealing to me as this two register.

Thank you guys again for the comments.

5. Canuck Aug 22, 2016

A friend of mine has two ofb these with the Venus 188 movement. He's had them for more than 30 years, and they're the only watches he wears! I have serviced to one for him, many years ago. He swears by them!

bigsom likes this.
  6. bigsom Aug 22, 2016

Thank you for sharing his experience Canuck. I'm waiting on fabsuisse to get back to me on the model he has for sale. I'm slightly concerned as the chrono and subdial hands look in much better shape than the hour/minute hands.

7. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Aug 22, 2016

They're blued steel which usually resists rusting much better than plated brass or steel hands.

It looks OK to me but the price is very high IMO.