Forums Latest Members

Wittnauer Calatrava Question

1. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Aug 1, 2016

Clickbait with the Calatrava title!

So I bought a watch I know nothing about, mainly because I like the font on the dial, and want to learn more about it.

Seeing that Wittnauer used Longines movements at timessage, although I don't think this example is one of those, I figure people may steer me in the right direction for more info.

My collection is devoid of manual wind 3 hand watches, and this one fit the bill with a stainless 36mm case, cool dial, which appears to be original (but I could be way off), and a manual wind movement. Watch isn't working, and I bought it to test out a new watch maker.

Any insight on it would be greatly appreciated, and no, I really don't think this is a Calatrava ::bleh::
    20160731_232138.png 20160731_232303.png 20160731_232326.png 20160731_232353.png

2. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe Aug 1, 2016

The code on the movement "AXA" is Wittnauer's own manufacturers code, so it could well be their own movement. No shock protection, so pre-war?

Adjusted, or not, the unadjusted marking was a tax dodge, adjusted time pieces were taxed very differently upon entering the United States, makers often marked high grade "adjusted" pieces as unadjusted to get them through customs at a reasonable price.

Nice Calatrava! ::stirthepot:: should clean up well!

watchknut likes this.
  3. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Aug 1, 2016

That part certainly worked!

It's a really nice looking watch whatever you want to call it, the dial looks original and definitely in the style of the 1930s-1940s.
    The movement doesn't look anything like the most well known Longines calibers from the era but I don't know which movements Wittnauer used (I read they used ebauche movements, hopefully others can shed more light).

Edited Aug 1, 2016
    watchknut likes this.
  4. ulackfocus Aug 1, 2016

Everyone knows that's not a "calatrava", it's "military". :rolleyes: :p

Fritz and Syrte like this.
  5. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Aug 1, 2016

Noooo no no, ex-cuse me, it's way too flat to be military. :cool:
    PS- at least we can agree it's definitely not art deco!:p (or a tri compax)

Edited Aug 1, 2016
    Fritz likes this.
  6. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Aug 1, 2016

I think this is late Art Deco inspired Calatrava military...that is my story and I am sticking to it!

Fritz likes this.
  7. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe Aug 1, 2016

Look at those hands, art nouveau with overtones of neogothic franken classisism ism.....

ah shit..... I bet its a redial.