Forums Latest Members

Wittnauer Alarm just arrived

1. dougiedude Carpe horologium! Nov 19, 2014

Post man delivered a small package today, so I ran out to the mailbox, tore open the package and found a bag of apricot seeds!

Then I looked at the address, and yes, my mailman had done it again, another wrong delivery..he has kind of a reputation like that around here, LOL!

As I'm looking for some tape to close up my neighbors seeds, I see out the window the mailman is coming back, this time at a much higher rate of speed...

Cutting to the chase (pun intended;)), I slowed down the mailman, we exchanged packages, and this is what I found in the next package:

[​IMG][​IMG]

Since this is my first ever mechanical alarm watch, the first thing I wanted to do was hear this thing.

I guess I should've moved the phone's microphone a bit further from the watch, as this little devil is pretty loud; just a warning:eek:!:

Edited Nov 19, 2014
    STANDY, rhetoric, JimInOz and 3 others like this.
  2. dougiedude Carpe horologium! Nov 19, 2014

I'm pretty impressed with the condition of this watch; I've seen others recently that are not in near as good condition.

I think my favorite feature of the dial is the squiglly alarm hand in reflective blue that, when catching the light angle properly, really shines. It also has a nice even patina that gives it an appropriately aged look.

Now, if I can just regulate it, I'll be a pretty happy camper! It's already lost four seconds in 2 hours...

Edited Nov 19, 2014
  3. alvaropinto Nov 19, 2014

If Jealousy killed...:mad:
    Gorgeous watch!

dougiedude likes this.
  4. dougiedude Carpe horologium! Nov 19, 2014

Have faith, there's another one on eBay right now, may not be in quite the same shape...

5. Hijak Nov 19, 2014

SWEET!!!::love:: Love that alarm hand. Looks great and that alarm would wake the dead, congratulations on a great find.:thumbsup:

6. Hijak Nov 19, 2014

Non-working and no where near as nice...you scored with this one!

dougiedude likes this.
  7. woodwkr2 Nov 19, 2014

Nice example of a very underrated watch! The mechanical wrist alarm is one of my favorite complications. Scoop 'em up before the rest of the world catches on.

citizenrich and dougiedude like this.
  8. dougiedude Carpe horologium! Nov 19, 2014

9. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Nov 20, 2014

One of the first old "winders" I ever purchased was a wrist alarm. It's a really cool complication and the one I bought was dirt cheap.

Useless trivia: Q. Which wristwatch has been worn by the most U.S. Presidents?
    A. The Vulcain Cricket.

Can anyone name all the presidents?

image.jpg image.jpg
  10. shaun hk Fairy nuffer Nov 20, 2014

Grrrr, I had seen that one ;)
    Though the seller notes the alarm hand still has some blueing on it...that and the dial damage at 11 marker put me off

Edited Nov 20, 2014
  11. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Nov 20, 2014

What, all of them, the whole 42 or whatever !!!! ;)

Or just the ones who wore Crickets?

I'll start - Harry Truman?

12. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Nov 20, 2014

Lol lead with my chin!

Ding ding! (Need to charge phone lol)

image.jpg
    dougiedude likes this.
  13. cristit Nov 20, 2014

Nice Wittnauer!
    The alarm hand is so bluish. Is it normal or is just the color balance in the picture?

14. dougiedude Carpe horologium! Nov 20, 2014

That blue is the real color. At that angle, light from my window was reflecting off of the hand to the lens, so it's more of a occasional bright blue sparkle. Most of the time, it appears as dark blue.

cristit likes this.
  15. dougiedude Carpe horologium! Nov 20, 2014

Besides, Truman, I also know that 'Ike', LBJ, and 'Tricky Dick' wore them, though I cheated, and looked it up :p..

In 2009, the CEO of Vulcain had one personally engraved and sent it to Obama.

Here's an article (I hope I'm not stealing your 'thunder', citizenrich, since you already know all this!)

http://www.wthejournal.com/en/en-direct/article/vulcain-the-u.s.-presidents-watch

Edited Nov 20, 2014
  16. dougiedude Carpe horologium! Nov 20, 2014

I can relate to the reaction of the Secret Service, below, when the alarm went off:

"Several times, the President’s Secret Service men when the alarm rang, thought it was a bomb. It was even rumoured about the Pentagon that one morning President Truman forgot to turn off his alarm and made a whole row of generals jump out of their epaulettes."

I wore my Wittnauer to bed last night, and when the alarm went off this morning, it about scared me out of my pajamas!

17. cristit Nov 20, 2014

Great. I like the way they made the shape of the hand in a contrast somehow with the overall design of the dial.

Can you record and upload the sound of the alarm? :)

dougiedude likes this.
  18. dougiedude Carpe horologium! Nov 20, 2014

I did; it's in the very first post of this thread, above ΛΛΛ

19. cristit Nov 20, 2014

Aaah, I thought it is a picture there, not a movie. :)
    Thanks!

20. ulackfocus Nov 20, 2014

Love that sound - angry metal crickets on amphetamines.

dougiedude likes this.