Forums Latest Members

Wittnauer 8023-241T Project, finally complete.....

1. OneTwo Jan 10, 2022

Hi OF,

I recently acquired one of my dream watches and well, it's definitely going to need a lot of work. I've attached a few photo below. In the first one it's the one on the left, the 8025 on the right is running well. I'm definitely aware that the 8023-241T is going to need a fully dismantled servicing and I begun to gather the parts I can see that it needs. So far I have a NOS crown, winding stem, case clamps, and main spring.

Where I'm run into a road block and am now coming to you all for some help is for a pair, or at least one, of chronograph pushers (preferably NOS but I'll take what I can get). I'm not sure if the pushers are stainless steel similar to the case so if so, stainless steel would be preferred as well. Is anyone aware of a source where I could find these from?

@Archer Would you happen to know or know of anyone that might be able to direct me?
    IMG-1969.jpg

8023-241T_1.jpg

8023-241T_3.jpg

And for those who may ask, from what I have found online, the Wittnauer 14Y movement for the 8023-241T model is a modified Landeron 249 movement. Albeit some sources have said hat the 14Y is a modified Landeron 248, but I'm not an expert so I'll leave that to the watchmakers and experts to discuss.

Bonus round, if by some miracle there is a NOS Dial stored away out there I'd definitely be interested in finding one of those!

Edited Jan 10, 2022
    noelekal and Mark020 like this.
  2. watchyouwant ΩF Clairvoyant Jan 10, 2022

Most older watchmakers will have plenty of different pusher caps for you. Replace both and be happy.

janice&fred, OneTwo and Mark020 like this.
  3. Gopher Jan 10, 2022

behardy: I may have access to a nice dial (and other parts) for you. PM me if interested.

4. OneTwo Jan 10, 2022

Very interested! Will send a PM shortly.

5. OneTwo Sep 4, 2022

A bit of updates here for the 241T project.

After sourcing the parts that I could find and a signed crown, I dropped the watch off at the service shop some months back knowing that it was going to be a while before I saw it again. A few weeks back I received the watch!
    IMG-3693.jpg
    The goal of the overhaul service was pretty simple, keep the dial and hands in original condition but clean it up as much as possible without damaging them. The case was in overall pretty great condition and appeared to be unpolished, so all it required was a cleaning. The crown fit well and I pretty happy to have a signed crown back on the watch.

The pushers are a bit of a point of dismay for me personally. While, I'm happy that the watch has functional pushers again, they are a little oversized in comparison to the original ones and they look a bit too modern to me but would love to know what others think. I'll keep an eye out for more original looking ones but I'm happy the 241T is in working order!

noelekal likes this.
  6. OneTwo Sep 4, 2022

Oh and I almost forgot the last update to the story. When I picked up the watch, and while I was still at the watchmaker's shop, I noticed that the chronograph second hand wasn't resetting to the 12 o'clock position. Sometimes it would stop short and then sometimes it would fly past. The watchmaker took a look at it and found there was a significant crack in the column tube of the second hand and recommended replacing it. I was pretty tentative about this as I wanted the hands to be kept original as possible. I had even previously sourced a lolipop second hand for the 14Y movement, similar to what you see on a Wittnauer 7004 which match the hour and minute hands that are on my watch, but to my dismay the watchmaker informed me the column tube did not fit the movement of the 8023-241T. Which is strange because both references are supposed to be equipped with Wittnauer 14Y movements.

So the watch was fitted with this hand:
    IMG-3885.jpg

At first I wasn't sure about it but after some time on the wrist and observing that then ends of the new chronograph second hand and the original chronograph minute end match in design I've grown to really like it! The new hand is also luminous and fades about the same as the hour and minute hand tritium hands so that's a welcome bonus.

A few more photos of the completed project:
    IMG-3884.jpg

IMG-3883.jpg

IMG-3882.jpg

Overall, even with the pushers, I'm pretty happy with the end result. It was always going to look rough but for me it's like an old sports car barn find brought back from the brink. I was calling it the beast for a bit, but my wife likened it to an old "Work Horse" and I think that's a great way to describe it, not the prettiest but gets the job done with just the right amount of style. Thanks for reading and curious to know what other enthusiasts think, please leave your thoughts below.

noelekal and janice&fred like this.
  7. CLA05 Sep 4, 2022

Looks very nice :)
    Sometimes being able to wear it and use it again outweighs it not being all totally original

janice&fred and OneTwo like this.
  8. OneTwo Sep 5, 2022

Thanks! @CLA05

I completely agree! As nice as it would be to have it up and running in original condition, I’m happy to have it functioning for years to come.

And in all honesty I dig the worn/heavy patina’d aesthetic of the dial.

9. Davidt Sep 5, 2022

Nice result but the pushers stick out like a sore thumb to me and need changing.
    Do they even fit correctly - surely the knurled areas at the base shouldn’t be visible?

Mark020 likes this.
  10. OneTwo Sep 5, 2022

Thanks @Davidt and agreed on the pushers being off looking for this watch. They are oversized in comparison to the original ones and they look a bit too modern to me on this watch. Would like to fine ones that are more period correct and size correct.

I can’t speak to how they should fit but here’s a photo where the pager meets the case
    017EA47E-6AC4-4E3F-9F8E-3FC022769561.jpeg

I still have the one original pusher that was intact so I could measure it but I’m just not sure what to measure. Anyone have any tips?

11. OneTwo Sep 5, 2022

Okay, from the one complete pusher that was on the watch when I purchased it, I took some measurements and photos as I figured that would be most helpful to those who have the knowledge and that might be able to help.

Measurements:
    Pusher Cap Height - 2.79mm
    Pusher Cap Diam. - 4.45mm
    Tube Diameter - ~3.2mm (portion between cap and threads, I think this is called the shoulder)
    Diameter at Threads - 2.75mm
    Length of threaded portion - ~1.5mm
    Stem Diameter - 1.50mm (At exposed portion that would be inside the watch case and actuate the mechanism)
    Stem Diameter - 0.99mm (at portion inside pusher assembly which has threads that screw into the pusher cap)
    Length of complete assembly - 7.75mm
    Length of exterior portion of pusher assembly (from outside of case to end of pusher) - 3.75mm to 4.0mm Note that pusher actuates when I take calipers tight to measure, so I'm doing my best to get an accurate measurement

Does anyone know what the thread pitch of the pushers for these cases should be? I found a couple options on Cousins UK, 0.20mm & 0.25mm. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

For the 0.20mm thread pitch option, I should note that the "Cote X" dimension on my pusher is 1.80mm

Photos:
    FC003686-D498-40DC-A7C9-CA5FFF2C7F8C.jpeg

5C680AAA-01F0-4052-AFA4-EDB9579210DE.jpeg

B9CB22B8-9F05-4997-8006-A97AD764F0F5.jpeg

the portion of the incomplete pusher that came off the watch:
    EA063C32-9D02-4634-BA99-30640FFC54C5.jpeg

Edited Mar 26, 2023
    noelekal likes this.
  12. OneTwo Sep 9, 2022

Bringing this one to the top to see if anyone can help me confirm the thread pitch.

13. OneTwo Mar 8, 2023

Still looking for the thread pitch info requested above. If anyone could provide some insight I'd greatly appreciate it!

14. OneTwo May 20, 2023

Happy to say I found pushers that are compatible and that no longer stick out like a sore thumb. Almost a year and half later the 241T project is complete! :D

A15E4C99-B160-4826-9184-1E1293A87665.jpeg

9C747E28-AB53-4270-BEDA-BC0D553B6111.jpeg
    And yes, it’s patinated to the point that some people would call it damaged, but because of the amount of patina it gives me a worry free sense to wear the watch whenever… well, unless it’s raining.

15. MDubs May 20, 2023

Great job Brian!! The new pushers look a lot better then the initial replacements, and congratulations on your persistence over the past 18 months!! Wear in great health!

OneTwo likes this.
  16. Watch my Whisky May 21, 2023

Love the watch. Love the attention you gave it.

Enjoy it!

OneTwo likes this.
  17. OneTwo May 21, 2023

Thanks Michael!

Thank you!

18. OneTwo Jan 18, 2024

Okay so I took the project one step further....

While the replacement chronograph seconds hand "worked" it always kinda bugged me that the hand set was mismatched. A little while back I came across a NOS Wittnauer 14Y chronograph seconds hand that matches the style of the hour and minute hand set that my watch was fitted with (see the Lollipop hand sets on the 239T and 242T references). After some research on the hour and minute hand style seeing a few other 241T's with them installed, I was convinced my 241T should also have a lollipop seconds hand. Since these NOS lollipop hands for the Wittnauer 14Y movement rarely surface to purchase, I jumped at the opportunity to have a matching hand set.

Took a bit for me to get it to my watchmaker, but I'm really happy with the result. In more indirect light the lume is a bit more towards the tan side than I'd like, but in the sun light it definitely shows more towards the creamy yellow hue which I'm very happy with! A few photos.
    [​IMG]
    Also the fact that the lollipop lume on the hand lands right between the Wittnauer writing and the bottom of the 12 o'clock index is really a cherry on top for me. And it also adds to my belief that this seconds hand is correct to the reference.
    IMG_7961.JPG
    Although the writing on of the outer track tachymeter and telemeter scales are degraded, I'm also very happy to see the point of the chronograph hand meets up with the outer track circle (more visible near the 10 & 11 o'clock indices).
    IMG_7965.JPG

Well for now I can safely say, this one is done for me!

.......unless I miraculously come across a dial in better shape. :confused: ha! It may never end.