Forums Latest Members

WITHDRAWN: Classic Vintage Audemars Piguet VZSS

1. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Oct 30, 2015

During the Golden Age of watchmaking (1940s-'50s), it was widely accepted that three manufacturers stood above all of the rest: Patek Philippe, Vacheron & Constantin and Audemars Piguet. While all three have been tight-lipped about production number, it is safe to say that the latter produced far fewer watches during that period than its two rivals.

Here is a rare opportunity to own a classic, understated, vintage Audemars Piguet in an 18k yellow gold case, and powered by one of the finest hand-wind movements ever produced.

The 34mm case is in good to very good condition, and has a dedication inscribed on the back. I am not sure how it was accomplished, but the dedication, which is charming to my eye, was executed in script, and quite probably that of the one who presented the watch. There is some wear commensurate with age, and it may have received a light polish at some stage. The gold hallmark and serial number are clearly visible, and the lugs retain their attractive, original form.

The classically laid out dial, hands and applied markers are all in very good condition, and show well.

The movement is in good cosmetic condition and excellent mechanical condition. It was recently serviced, and is performing to a high standard. The reason for the lower cosmetic grade is that there are a few small discolorations on one of the bridges, which should be easy to discern in the photos below. That minor issue is obviously only apparent when the movement is exposed. However, I do not want those who prefer pristine movements to be disappointed by any unpleasant surprises.

This is an elegant sub-second model, produced in very limited numbers by AP in the 1940s and '50s. It is an all original example to my knowledge, and is a pleasure to wind, set and wear. They are rarely seen on the market, and when sold through dealers typically fetch prices in the low five figures. I am selling this example at a much more affordable level in part because I did not overpay for it originally, and also because of the few, superficial flaws noted.

Those who aren't familiar with the superb VZ caliber movements might find this post of mine below to be of use. Suffice to say for the purposes of this advert, the VZSS caliber powering the subject AP is undoubtedly one of the very best hand-wind calibers ever to have been produced. The same base caliber was also used by Patek Philippe for special Observatory Trial competition watches, and for complicated watches that are now worth small fortunes in the auction market.

http://www.watchprosite.com/?page=w...65583&pzt=&dv=true&wf.responses.open_bLoB_s=0

At my asking price of $5,750, I will ship worldwide, and fully insured using FedEx. Paypal or bank wire accepted. Please note that the watch is located in my current base, Portugal.

I am well known on this and other forums, and would be happy to answer any questions.

Regards,

Tony C.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Edited Oct 30, 2015
    Gunsmoke375, tmw57, JM251 and 7 others like this.
  2. Modest_Proposal Trying too hard to be one of the cool kids Oct 30, 2015

GLWS - Truly a special watch.

pcdubc likes this.
  3. pcdubc Oct 30, 2015

The movement finishing is extraordinary - I haven't seen one this nice on a wrist watch in a LONG time

Moeris likes this.
  4. adam78 Adam @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 30, 2015

Wow, Tony, you just got Hodinkee'ed (on your PuristsPro advert of same)...:cool:

5. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Nov 2, 2015

Interest shown, but no sale yet!