Forums Latest Members
  1. ScubaPro Actually dives with dive watches!!! Sep 14, 2017

So, do any of the great minds know if there's any danger in all the new wireless charging hubs (found in cars, and for home use w/phones, etc) can magnetize a watch? And I'm not wondering about the new calibers that are allegedly
    field resistant, but all mechanical watches. Any insight?

drhex and watchos like this.
  2. yinzerniner Sep 14, 2017

Most wireless charger pads have some sort of magnets to assist in affixing and securing compatible phones, so they could do the same amount of damage as any similarly-powerful magnets on any vulnerable mechanical watch.
    But wireless chargers don't start unless they sync up with compatible phones and/or other devices. So unless you're charging a device and also have the watch at a very close distance I doubt the charging would contribute to any ill effects.

Just keep your piece away from the magnetic pad/cup and you should be fine. Use common sense and I doubt you'll damage your watch.

3. ScubaPro Actually dives with dive watches!!! Sep 14, 2017

Makes sense. Thanks for your thoughts. I've never had a watch magnetized, and don't want to start now. I figured that there would be no current flowing on the charging surface until it was engaged by something, bit you never know.

4. hotwheels Nov 30, 2017

Heated steering wheel, fridge doors, mobiles, can all have a magnetising effect, I didn't realise my watch had been effected until it started to loose time had it de magnetised and back to normal