Forums Latest Members

winning a rolex auction, in order to get a closer look at the watch?

1. nyc863 Feb 3, 2014

There is a rolex auction on ebay in my city where the pictures are not complete enough and the seller is NOT responding to requests for more information. Perhaps because the auction is suspicious, the final price is going to be low.

I'm thinking of winning the auction merely in order to get the chance to review the watch and decide if I want to go through with the transaction or not. Obviously, if after winning, the seller refuses to either send more pictures or allow the watch to be viewed, I would refuse to pay & would get an unpaid bidder strike.

Is this a quagmire I should stay away from? On the one hand, if the description is correct, I'd get a chance for a grail watch cheaper than I expected. On the other, if the seller doesn't respond to inquiries now, I'm wondering how on earth it could be legit.

The listing is marked paypal, which apparently means seller protection if the item is not significantly not as described, and the account isn't a new one.

The pictures claim the serial matches the hang tag, and the watch has an original receipt and guarantee. If some or all of this turns out to be false, if I might get a box of crap in the mail, is just winning, paying, then lodging a not-as-described claim sufficient protection?

2. ulackfocus Feb 3, 2014

If it's in the same city, INSIST on seeing it before hand.

Seriously - a Rolex in NYC and the seller won't communicate?

RedFlag.jpg

SpikiSpikester likes this.
  3. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Feb 3, 2014

Totally hypocritical advice, as I have more than once rushed in where angels fear to tread, but this promises to be a mess. How bad do you want it?

4. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Feb 3, 2014

There is a scam running where the seller lodges a falsified certificate of delivery. I don't know how they do it but I lost £1000 and paypal of course was no help at all. Even the post office supplied evidence of the fraudulent shipping but as I said, paypal won't help.

there is no such thing as a cheap grail. Not on eBay, and not in NYC.

5. nyc863 Feb 3, 2014

Well it isn't in nyc, that's my tag. But not my current location.

The listing number is 111270739836 if you're curious and want to enter the swamp.

6. Noisy Nova Feb 3, 2014

If it were one of my grails, in my city, I'd go for it.

7. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Feb 3, 2014

8. nyc863 Feb 3, 2014

yes, I did look at past feedback. It raises more flags, but not as many as a history(1) account would.

Still I don't get his angle though.
    Australia is practically a police state. Unless its a hijacked account not sure how he expects to rip off another aussie. Also why sell only to Australia? no shipping international, where it would be easier to run a scam.

9. shaun hk Fairy nuffer Feb 3, 2014

You could win the auction, ask to view it in person before you send through the payment and still pay by paypal

10. seamonster Respectable Member Feb 4, 2014

Respectable Member nyc863

A red Sub at that price is a steal. Kindly be wary and this is the only advice, I can give to you.

Whether the item is in Granville or Mosman, still they are both in Sydney.

Thank you.

11. nyc863 Feb 4, 2014

yes thanks seamonster, what I meant was I guess my nyc tag was assumed to be my location
    but I am in Sydney at the moment, and Granville is within reach.

I don't expect ever to see a red sub with documentation for this current price or anything near it, even a highly doubtful one like this one, I expect it'll get bid up at the last few minutes.

It is very peculiar to imagine someone selling one without attending to inquiries on it.

12. seamonster Respectable Member Feb 4, 2014

Try to ask the seller, whether he would oblige you with a physical inspection of the watch, at a safe place. If you want me to come along, just let me know and I shall stay a short distance away. If he is genuine, I think he will accede to your request.

There is nothing to lose and if he accedes to your request, go ahead with the purchase subject to an inspection by a competent watchmaker, so as not to damage his highly desirable watch.

Thank you.

13. nyc863 Feb 4, 2014

A bidder is trying to send a subliminal message :)

Current bid: AU $6,666.66

Current bid:​

AU $6,666.66

14. seamonster Respectable Member Feb 5, 2014

What has happened to it? I am not able to see the listing, any longer. Yesterday I saw it.

Thank you.

15. nyc863 Feb 5, 2014

it appears to have been removed. I reported it as possibly fraudulent to ebay but I am surprised they moved that fast, a clearly fake $50 copy Daytona I reported two days ago is still listed with a lot of bids over 4k.
    maybe ebay saw something else; or maybe the seller removed it.

here is the Chinese Daytona replica someone is going to pay for:
    http://m.ebay.com.au/itm/301084952090?nav=WATCHING&sbk=1Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

16. seamonster Respectable Member Feb 5, 2014

It is sad to witness, more and more people are into eBay, with the intention to deceive and cheat, instead of enjoying the pleasure of buying and selling.

It is good for you and other respectable forum members to point out those sick and ugly monsters, to eBay.

Thank you.

ICONO likes this.