Forums Latest Members
  1. saturn1981 Dec 10, 2014

I am a novice watch repairer.
    I took apart a pocket watch for cleaning. Everything went well until i got to the winding setting.
    I took out a screw and the winding setting fell out on the floor. I found everything but one screw.

Can you tell me the name of that screw?
    And can you tell me how to get a replacement?
    Any help would appreciated. P1050339.jpg
    thanks

2. saturn1981 Dec 10, 2014

I think it holds this part to keep the Winding/ Setting in the watch.
    Does anybody know what that part is named?
    Any help would be appreciated. P1050391.jpg

3. ChrisN Dec 10, 2014

Is there a little gear under the plate to connect the clutch to the minute wheel (the wheel with the two gears)? This works when you set the time. I’m no expert but, for me that would be the “Intermediate wheel” or “Setting wheel” so, the screw would be called “screw for xxxx plate” or ““screw for xxxx post”. Let's see if an expert has a comment.

You may be lucky and find a parts list for your movement on cousinsuk.com (is it an Omega?) and be able to order the correct screw but more likely, the option would be to buy a mixed bag of screws for pocket watches and select one that does the job. Better still, find that screw and save some money! There looks to be a lot of corrosion between the hour wheel and cannon pinion so, good luck.

Cheers, Chris

4. saturn1981 Dec 10, 2014

Thanks for your reply.
    There is no gear under that plate. I think that the winding stem goes through underneath just to hold the winding and setting to the watch.
    It is a Waltham Pocket Watch.
    Here is a photo.
    Screw.jpg

5. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Dec 10, 2014

Well thankfully you have told us it's a Waltham, and I can see the serial number on the plate...just remember that it's very difficult, if not impossible, to help you find a part without knowing the specifics of the watch in question...

So you have a Waltham model 1859, William Ellery Grade, 18 size, with a 3/4 plate design. It was made in 1863 by the way.

Looking at my Swigart Illustrated Manual of American Watch Movements (a good general reference if you plan on working on more American pocket watches) it does not go back further than the 1883 model so the 1859 is not shown, but when I look at the parts listing for an 1892, it shows the part in question. The part that the screw goes into is referred to as a "winding arbor bearing" so the screw you would need would be a "winding arbor bearing screw". It lists the screw as a part number 195, but I am not sure if it would be the same number on your specific watch.

So you have a few options:

1 - Find the part you lost and this is always the best option. We watchmakers do this all the time, so use a magnet and sweep it across the floor - I use one that is a sort of magnetic strip so it covers a lot of area at once. You can hook up the vacuum cleaner and put pantyhose over the end of the pipe and use that, or sometimes just shining a flashlight parallel to the floor will make things show up much easier unless you are working on carpet. If you are working on carpet, find another location or remove the carpet.

2 - Buy the part from a parts supplier who is willing to look through their stock for one - keep in mind this watch is about 150 years old, so parts are not exactly plentiful.

3 - Buy a donor watch and use the screw from it.

4 - Find an alternate screw that works.

5 - Make a new screw - not a likely option, but thought I would mention it.

Good luck with your repair.

Cheers, Al

Edited Dec 10, 2014
    ChrisN likes this.
  6. saturn1981 Dec 10, 2014

Thanks archer.
    So informative.
    You a star

7. Stu-Silver Dec 10, 2014

would love to see my wife's reaction if I was to take a pair of her 'pantyhose' (or tights here in the UK) and started to roll them onto the nozzle of the vacuum cleaner!

8. Hijak Dec 16, 2014

Sounds like this comes from much experience Al! Hate when I drop small items like this...very hard on my old eyes!

...and knees!!!

9. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Dec 17, 2014

It happens to the best. I have a book that features photos of Philippe Dufour and one other watchmaker working in their shops. One photos shows Mr. Dufour on his hands and knees, looking for a part on the floor. If Mr. Dufour drops parts, then I don't feel so bad when I drop one from time to time.

Crawling on the floor - yes watchmaking is oh so glamorous! :)

Mothra likes this.
  10. bill5959 Dec 17, 2014

And I thought flying spring bars were bad enough. Yet another reason I should not take watches apart. :)

11. Nesbit Nesbit's Watch Service, Seattle Dec 17, 2014

I'll admit, sometimes we have everyone on the floor looking :)

Mothra likes this.
  12. Hijak Dec 17, 2014

Its a party!;)