Forums Latest Members
  1. AntonisCy Apr 21, 2019

I know there isn't a a single/correct answer to this but approximately how long would it take for a watch to be fully wound through wearing it on the wrist?

I know it depends on what you are doing and body movement but lets say 50% moving and 50% sitting on a desk.

Anyone have an idea? Asking about my 300m diver Seamaster (2018).

2. alam Apr 21, 2019

and I suspect, its state of wind when it goes on the wrist? are we measuring from a complete unwound state? or from the recommended for auto watches, typically ~30-40 turns? add to that, the type of movement, age, condition....wait for one of our qualified watchmakers to respond...

::popcorn::

AntonisCy likes this.
  3. Duckie Apr 21, 2019

It's like asking how long is a piece of string.
    There is absolutely no definitive answer.

All I can offer you is that from a dead stoped watch, I can put one of my Rolex watches on and wear it for 2 hours. Then remove it then put it aside and it will run for about 12 hours.
    I can do the same things whilst wearing it for 8 hours with the ecact same watch or another with essentially the same movement and after taking it off it will run for it's maximum rated power reserve of 48 hours.
    I regard my activity levels as being within the average range.
    Someone who is borderline comatose will have a vastly different result.
    Someone who is training for a triathlon will undoubtedly have a result at the other end of the spectrum.

AntonisCy likes this.
  4. Slowpoker Apr 21, 2019

What I used to do is put the timepiece to my ear once I think its wound and move the rotor. Automatics are built with over wind protection. So once fully wound the main spring 'slips' into the barrel I think. It makes a very slight sound which you can hear, kind of like a click?

That way I know its wound fully. But personally I wouldn't bother too much anymore. Just manually wind it to full and wear it, it should keep its charge up provided you wear it.

AntonisCy likes this.
  5. AntonisCy Apr 21, 2019

Yea after manually winding my watch (45-50 turns) i hear the click! I was just wondering what the corresponding time was needed to be fully wound on the wrist.

6. Slowpoker Apr 21, 2019

To be honest I'm not too sure. The method I use is what I know best and it works so I don't complain.

However I'm thinking that one full rotation of the rotor = one full rotation of the crown?
    Would make sense but I'm no expert.

AntonisCy likes this.
  7. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Apr 21, 2019

Nope - it will typically take one or more rotations of the rotor to advance the ratchet wheel one tooth, where one turn of the crown will typically turn the ratchet wheel many teeth, so manual winding the crown one turn will equal many turns of the rotor.

The specific gear ratios depend on the design of a specific watch (they are not all the same), and the gear ratio is only one consideration. Different designs have different levels of efficiency also...

For example some watches wind when the rotor turns in both directions, and some only wind when the rotor turns in just one direction, with the other direction not winding at all. In different scenarios, they can be more or less efficient due to things like the dead angle - the degrees of motion on the rotor where it's switching from winding in one direction to the other, and no winding occurs. For very active people a watch that winds in both directions is more efficient, but for inactive people the watch that winds in one direction is more efficient.

It's a complicated topic that you can't give specific answers for in a simple way - every watch is different.

Cheers, Al

Motik and AntonisCy like this.
  8. AntonisCy Apr 21, 2019

Thanks for the great replies.