Forums Latest Members
  1. mercuryproject Aug 27, 2017

I'm new to Omega. I have inherited a 1960s Omega Seamaster 300. I don't know the exact model. It is highly likely it is real because I've observed the owner wear it since very close to the purchase time. He was a diver and used that feature of the watch. The owner is unfortunately no longer available to answer my questions and I do not have the serial number. It is an auto wind watch. It is my understanding that should manually wind an auto wind watch every now and then. I have seen a youtube video on how to do this with a new Seamaster 300. However, my watch does not function this way. In any case, when I try to wind it, there is no sound and it does not appear to be doing anything when I turn the crown either way. The youtube video indicated you must unscrew the crown and then pull out half way and then wind. This must be the case with new Seamaster 300s as there is no half pull position on mine. There also is no date setting on mine. It is the model without a day/date indicator. I am trying to determine if my watch is broken and it actually should be making a winding noise when I try to wind it, or if it is the case that the older Seamaster 300s just did not have a manual wind on the auto wind model. I can't seem to find info online about this specific model. Thanks for any help you can offer.

2. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia Aug 27, 2017

Pictures?

3. Canuck Aug 27, 2017

Unscrewing the crown and "pulling it outward" to initiate winding is not necessary. The winding position is the position the crown is in when you unscrew it. No need to "pull it out" before you start to wind it. First question I have is, if you pick it up, stopped, and wind it 30 turns or so, does it start to run? If it does, winding is happening. The lack of sound when you go through the motions of winding it? The sound (or difficulty in hearing anything happening) is quite different to the sound you likely hear in winding a manual winder. In an automatic, the reverser gear mechanism operates almost noiselessly, except for a faint whirring sound.

mercuryproject likes this.
  4. DON Aug 27, 2017

You should feel just a light resistance when turning clockwise. CCW does nothing.

If you don't feel anything. Mainspring could be broken. Not a major repair, but movement should be cleaned and case pressure tested if you plan to swim with it, but I don't recommend swimming with vintage watches.

Hold it up to your ear and listen for some light noise when winding.

DON

5. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Aug 27, 2017

Another uncle watch?

padders likes this.
  6. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Aug 28, 2017

You need to take this to a watchmaker that knows these watches to show you how to use it and make sure it's in good shape and not tearing its insides up.

If you service it do not change the hands, bezel, or dial and do not polish the watch. If the crown is replaced save the crown.

If you need help finding a qualified watch maker you can post your city / area and get some advice.

Generally on these watches unscrew the crown and it should be in the winding position.

Edited Aug 28, 2017
  7. mercuryproject Aug 28, 2017

I'll try to get pictures up tonight. I'll try the test mentioned also and provide results. Currently, no tactile difference noticed between CW and CCW, except it is slightly more difficult to turn than CCW. The crown is a little difficult for me to grab. With ear up to the watch, I can hear a slight scraping noise or rubbing noise that is different than when turning CCW... maybe that would be a whirring noise... not sure.

Also, if using an electric winder that slowly rotates the watch at night, any idea what is the best direction to set it on (CW or CCW)?

Edited Aug 28, 2017
  8. mercuryproject Sep 3, 2017

Here's a photo My auto winding device at night has been working pretty well and it has not stopped yet. When it stops, I will definitely try winding without shaking it and see if it will start. Anyone know how I can narrow in on the year of this model?

20170726_142517.jpg
    BenBagbag likes this.
  9. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia Sep 3, 2017

I'm guessing 1966-67 but removing the caseback to expose the reference and movement number would be more informative.

10. Joe K. Curious about this text thingy below his avatar Sep 4, 2017

Looks like a 165.024 and the crown does not appear to be correct for this watch. It should be one of 2 designs:

1. NAIAD crown (see images bekow from a picture I found on the forum)
    [​IMG]

2. Screw in crown (my old Watchco)
    watchco2.jpg

Edited Sep 4, 2017
  11. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Sep 4, 2017

No concerns about using a winder?

12. CajunTiger Cajuns and Gators can't read newspapers! Sep 4, 2017

you'll need to wind it at least 40-50 times to get a full charge. The Seamasters don't make a lot of noise when winding like a fully manual watch...so didn't worry about the lack of noise...my guess is your just not winding it enough.

marco likes this.
  13. CajunTiger Cajuns and Gators can't read newspapers! Sep 4, 2017

dont shake it please.

14. mercuryproject Sep 4, 2017

I am perplexed about two posts that suggest any shaking motion (...how to avoid this if wearing) or the even more gentle motion of turning around on an auto winder with somehow damage this watch. If I want to know the time, shall I purchase a $15 Timex instead? Please elaborate.

15. CajunTiger Cajuns and Gators can't read newspapers! Sep 4, 2017

its 50 years old...it should be serviced buy a watchmaker that understands vintage Omega.
    Then you can shake it till your hearts content :)
    but its best to simply wind it...there is really no reason to shake the watch.

marco likes this.
  16. mercuryproject Sep 4, 2017

Thanks. Okay, I think I understand what you are saying. If something is broken then shaking is not a good idea. Let me know if I am still understanding you.

17. CajunTiger Cajuns and Gators can't read newspapers! Sep 4, 2017

Yes, you want to avoid causing any additional damage before its looked at. The watch can take a licking, its built very well...regardless there is no reason to shake it.

18. Canuck Sep 4, 2017

Wear it every day for 12 hours or, and it will wind itself. Or use it for casual wear, and wind it by turning the crown 30 to 40 times. It doesn't make a lot of sense to shake it for 1/2 hour or so, every time you choose to wear it.

marco likes this.
  19. ChrisN Sep 4, 2017

If it's making a whirring noise, I'd suspect that the rotor is turning when you wind it because the winding gear (sometimes called the reversing wheels and other variants) is worn out and jammed. This is not unusual with this calibre and if it happens then the rotor is not properly decoupled from the manual winding system so, it spins at high speed when you are winding it by the crown. This is bad so, as already mentioned, have a Watchmaker look at it.

It's likely that the rotor bush is also worn if you're hearing a scraping sound and as the rotor spins, it is wobbling and scratching the case back and the movement. This is, clearly, very bad but will be addressed in a service.

Nice watch though:thumbsup:

Regards, Chris

marco likes this.
  20. marco Sep 4, 2017

This is way to nice a watch to not take the above advice. Service it , that's all. No polishing.
    It's 50 years old, valuable. Wear it with pride.