Forums Latest Members
  1. devnull May 2, 2015

My only mechanical watch, a very handsome 1964 Omega century in 18k gold. The problem I'm having is that the crown is tiny and very hard to turn.

First question is; how much resistance to winding is it supposed to be there? I'm a neophyte at this but it feels like it is harder than it should.

Second, is there some sort of winding assist tool/gadget for people whose fingers resemble Vienna sausages with nails?

Edited May 2, 2015
  2. redpcar May 2, 2015

Post a pic of what you are working with. I agree, some of the crowns are hard to grip. What I do sometimes is to pinch the crown with your fingertips and turn the watch (toward you).

3. devnull May 2, 2015

View attachment 123672
    DSCF2132.JPG

4. JimInOz Melbourne Australia May 2, 2015

We had a whole thread on this, do a search for crown winder.

Lots of tips there.

5. devnull May 3, 2015

Outstanding. I feel kind of stupid for not thinking about that :D I was searching for watch winder here and on Google but all the matches seemed to be for the things to keep automatic movements charging.

6. m84 May 4, 2015

I may be saying something completely stupid here but could the watch need some service/check up/lubricating as well?
    I have a '66 Seiko that when I got it, was hard to wind and decided not to touch it anymore until I took it to service... Bottom line, it was almost completely dry inside and good thing I didn't force it!