Forums Latest Members
  1. bama2141 Jan 4, 2017

Hello All! I'm relatively new here, but have been greatly impressed by the degree of expertise displayed on this forum.

I have recently purchased a Speedmaster Mark IV with the calibre 1040 automatic movement. This is my first "vintage" automatic chronograph, since I have been more focussed on Speedmasters with the 861 or 1861 manual wind movements.

This Mark IV keeps time well (+5-6 sec/day) and autowinds well, keeping a good power reserve when off the wrist. I do find the manual winding effort to be high compared to the 861/1861. I should state that I haven't let the movement fully wind down before I manually wind it. Since I'm more used to a regime of winding my other Speedmasters each morning before I strap it on, I have been doing the same with this Mk IV.

So my general questions are these:
    1 -- Is the winding effort generally high for this movement?
    2 -- Is the winding effort high because it's already well wound and doesn't need manual winding?

I would also say that the seller claimed to have serviced the movement and installed new seals and gaskets before sale.

IMG_3029 (Edited).JPG s-l1610.jpg s-l1611.jpg
    Edited Jan 4, 2017
  2. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Jan 4, 2017

Why are you winding an automatic watch?

3. Andy K Dreaming about winning an OFfie one day. Jan 4, 2017

1. It depends on the watch. I have a handful of 1040s, and some wind easily, and some are tougher to wind. I'm not a watchmaker, so I won't speculate as to the reason.
    2. I doubt that, but again, I'm not a watchmaker.

By the way, your watch was the subject of a thread I started a few months ago: https://omegaforums.net/threads/the-ugly-secret-past-lives-of-vintage-watches.45441/

Your watch was the recipient of an impressive and well-executed makeover! :thumbsup:

4. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jan 4, 2017

Generally speaking, since you are typically moving more parts when winding an automatic than when winding a manual wind watch, there will be comparatively more effort involved. However it's way more complicated than that...details like the dimensions of the mainspring, exactly how many parts are between the crown and the mainspring barrel, the condition of all those parts, and even things like how tight the seal in the crown is on the case tube can influence how difficult a watch is to wind.

Cheers, Al

5. bama2141 Jan 4, 2017

Unfortunately the links in your referenced thread don't get me to the watch's previous condition (maybe I'm better off not seeing it!). From the thread it seems it must have been a basket case.

I guess all I can say is that I'm happy with the way it looks on my wrist. I like the style and my older eyes appreciate the large central hands for the chrono seconds and minutes hands.

Relative to my original post, maybe I should just leave my hands off the winding stem and let the auto do its thing....

6. dialstatic Jan 4, 2017

I have two 1040s and an 861. My 861 is much easier to wind (less effort/resistance) than both 1040s, though it has to be said there is a marked difference between those two, as well. Of course, this is purely anecdotal - I think Archer's post is as specific as it gets without actually sending the watch to him.

7. bama2141 Jan 4, 2017

Thanks to all for the replies.

As with all new acquisitions, I want to learn as much as possible. Fortunately I've now found a few websites dealing with the 1040, and my appreciation of it is growing. It's definitely the new kid on the block in my collection, and is getting the most wrist time.

Another obligatory photo...

[​IMG]

dialstatic and Andy K like this.
  8. bnabod Jan 4, 2017

Really a great watch in my view mine does not start with a few spins of the rotor it does seem to take some effort to get that old gal going but once it does she goes ticking without any issues . May it is the movement because my mark 4.5 starts right up

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk