Forums Latest Members
  1. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Nov 11, 2012

Hi all,
    In my package from Tim for my November arrival
    http://omegaforums.net/threads/my-november-arrival.2455/
    there was a note that said:

Although automatic, wind watch manually with crown 10 to 14 times when you first put it on in the morning or any time it has not been used. This will actuate power and insure good time keeping. This will also greatly increase the life of the mainspring

I'd never heard of this before??? Why does it improve timekeeping, etc?
    Thanks
    Daniel

2. ulackfocus Nov 11, 2012

A bumper is inefficient and needs a little kick start.

Any automatic is regulated to keep better time the more the mainspring is wound.

3. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 11, 2012

Even on a modern full rotor automatic, if you're at your desk all day it might slowly lose power to the point of stopping during the day. I wind mine until full before wearing, which is usually 30-40 turns.

4. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 11, 2012

A commonly learned sale phrase for jewelers and less expensive watch sales people is, "it's an automatic, you don't have to wind it" . Unfortunately only true for some watches, but so the myth was born.

5. pknopp Nov 11, 2012

Most of the vintage literature I've seen that came with the watches originally point out that the watch should be wound.

6. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Nov 12, 2012

And that includes watches like some of the early Seiko automatics and LeCoultre Futurematics that did not have winding crowns. You were supposed to shake them a bit before wearing.
    gatorcpa

Dablitzer likes this.