Forums Latest Members
  1. rhetoric Feb 11, 2014

I'm wondering whether anyone can direct me to a thread about (I think) the topic of winding automatic watches manually- thinking of the cal 500 auto's with clover-style crowns.They were perhaps designed to be wound mainly automatically, in the days when a person owned and wore only 1 watch. So they can be difficult little buggers to get a grip on if you want to wind them only every so often. Now I think I remember someone referring to a way of using a rubber band to get hold of 'em. Anyone remember the thread?

2. ulackfocus Feb 12, 2014

It was Steve / cicindela's idea. Get a rubber band that's thick enough to go completely over the crown, put it over the crown and stretch it just a little, then grip it and wind.

3. rhetoric Feb 12, 2014

Ah, thanks Dennis. I was using a rubber band not very successfully, but the 'stretching' idea seems to help. Should have known.
    stoop2.JPG
    And that's a "rhetorical" question!

4. seamonster Respectable Member Feb 13, 2014

Respectable Member rhetoric

When I had such a watch, I used a very thin rubber glove on my right, to wind the watch. It served its purpose, very well.

Thank-you.

5. rhetoric Feb 13, 2014

Yes, I've thought of using the finger-stalls of thin rubber as well. I guess a full glove would do, too. Thanks.

6. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Feb 13, 2014

Something to consider - I use one pretty regularly as my finger/thumb get chewed and calloused up quite a bit with winding watches all day long, 7 days a week...

http://www.esslinger.com/bergeoncrownwinders.aspx

This is good for small crowns that are difficult to grip, and also the clover leaf style, which I hate...

You just need to buy the correct size for the crown you are using it on, and of course there are other cheaper brands than Bergeon.

Cheers, Al

7. John R Smith Feb 13, 2014

Simple, and very cheap - I use a two inch length of car screen-washer tube (transparent plastic). Roll the end of it between your fingers for thirty seconds to warm it and make it more flexible, then press that end over the crown. Now you can wind away in comfort ;)

8. AuBuyer Posh Nouveau Yank Feb 13, 2014

I have had some success with the Bergeon Button Winder over the years. Hard to come by but nice in a pinch.

Bergeon 30409.jpg
  9. rhetoric Feb 13, 2014

Thanks Al. I didn't know these existed.:thumbsup:

10. rhetoric Feb 13, 2014

Hmmm... I'll see if I can find something like this Thanks.

11. rhetoric Feb 13, 2014

Yes, looks good. Apparently there is one which is adjustable too. Not Bergeon. Thanks for your help.

12. ulackfocus Feb 13, 2014

Just wanted to say that you've got some competition for cutest kid in a fake car avatar:

jankeh417.png

13. woodwkr2 Feb 13, 2014

I've got a stock of NOS Bergeon winders. Substantially higher quality than the ones that Esslinger and the like carry.

They're listed on the bay, but PM me if you're interested. It's important to size these correctly. They are adjustable, but over a relatively small size range.

I personally use one size for my smaller vintage pieces, and another size to cover my modern watches with larger crowns. They'll save your fingers, especially for watches that don't have a quickset date feature.

rhetoric likes this.
  14. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Feb 13, 2014

I have a crown winder which works well. I also use bits of Nylex dripper tube, the beige rubbery one, it works well on medium crowns.

I always keep an eye out for the odd bit of nylon/plastic tube and keep a few bits. They can be used as John describes.

15. rhetoric Feb 13, 2014

Ah, dripper tube. Of course. Been looking for various bits of tube around the house. You've reminded me to look in the shed. Thanks, Jim.:)

16. rhetoric Feb 13, 2014

Yeah, but mine's shit scared. Reflecting my lack of knowledge and bank balance.

17. rhetoric Feb 13, 2014

Thanks Jim. Nylex irrigation tubing seems to work (after some heat, physical and verbal persuasion). Fits just gently onto the 5mm crown and easy to remove.
    DSC04371.JPG