Forums Latest Members
  1. speedy57 Jan 17, 2016

I have read the old threads about to keep autos on winders or to let them rest in between wearing. I still don't know, the readings just have me more confused. But let's say I do decide to keep on a winder... Keeping within reason, I think the wolf roadmaster seems nice. I'd really like to know what the true watchsmiths feel on the subject. Especially those of you trained in Switzerland and with lots more knowledge than I. Thx.

2. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Jan 17, 2016

I think the consensus of opinion is to not keep vintage on a winder.

3. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Jan 17, 2016

This was my answer on the subject a few hours ago on another thread...

the more it is working...the faster it will need service.

If yo use a watch on rotation say....once a week, that is 52 times a year...plus reserve let's say about 120 days of function.

Now....on a winder it is on 365 days a year. a ratio of 1 to 3

So...a watch that is supposed to be serviced every 5 years of use "may" last 15 years on rotation before service...as opposed to 5 years.

that's on a once a week rotation. Some of us rotate more on a 10 or 2 week ratio.

You do the math...and see if the winder is worth it versus setting it for a minute or two every now and then.

4. Mad Dog rockpaperscissorschampion Jan 17, 2016

A situation where one machine [a winder] is dedicated to maintaining another machine [an automatic watch] in a running state is ridiculously cool in my book...I'm in...I'll take two [winders], please. :thumbsup:

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited Jan 18, 2016
  5. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Jan 18, 2016

Dog eat dog? ::confused2::

Mad Dog likes this.
  6. italy1861 Jan 18, 2016

I'd rather take the money spent on a winder(or winders) and buy another watch :D.

Mad Dog and Nobel Prize like this.
  7. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Jan 18, 2016

I've always got four on the winder, ready for "grab-and-go" mornings. They are mostly modern - this century - but occasionally a recently serviced vintage.

Mad Dog likes this.
  8. speedy57 Jan 18, 2016

Thanks for the opinions.