Forums Latest Members

Winder and maintenance for 2006 first generation Planet Ocean

1. Sebastian Tombs Aug 3, 2015

Dear Sirs,

I own a 2006 first generation Seamaster Planet Ocean with caliber 2500, which I only wear when travelling or on holiday. I would like your advice on two things, please:

1) I am planning to buy a watch winder, what would be most suitable for this watch in terms of rotational direction, rotation frequency and anything else that may be needed?

2) In the meantime, how can I optimally maintain the watch and keep it running and accurate, i.e. how often should I manually wind it using the crown and how many times should I turn it?

Thank you for your help.

2. Jones in LA Isofrane hoarder. Aug 3, 2015

3. Sebastian Tombs Aug 3, 2015

Thank you very much! Perfect. I have read the PDF. Any recommendations in terms of brands and models that can deliver what is outlined in that document for calibre 2500? Apart from the gorgeous Omega ones, which are beautiful but too expensive for me at this moment. I wouldn't spend more that £200, if possile. But models slightly out of my budget are fine, in case I can stretch the budget a bit more in the near future.

Thank you.

4. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Aug 3, 2015

You don't really need a winder for your PO. It won't really have an effect on its life span, time keeping or health other than save you the time to set it the few times you use it. In fact, let it rest.

A winder is great for watches like a 1675 where you have no fast date set mechanism and have to strain yourself and often the watch setting the date through when used on rotation, but on a piece like the PO you're fine without it.
    Save yourself some money for a quick trip so you can use the watch again and if you haven't done so already consider servicing your watch soon as it's soon going to be 10 years old. That will for sure help it more than the winder.

Tejinator likes this.
  5. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Aug 3, 2015

6. Sebastian Tombs Aug 4, 2015

Thank you all for your input, it was exactly what I was looking for.

7. manumad Aug 4, 2015

I have 2 Wolf winders (ver. 2.7) and 2 Orbita Sparta's.
    I've found the Orbita better for my PO because of the size and weight of the watch, the Wolf winder seemed to slip when both my PO and Breitling Chrono Evolution watches were installed.[​IMG][​IMG]

8. Sebastian Tombs Aug 5, 2015

Hello,

You have the same PO as mine, apart from my black Zulu strap. Lovely sports/travel watch.

Thank you for your input.

For your interest, I have received an email from Omega saying that while I don't use a winder, it is their advice to wind the watch manually with about forty turns of the crown every morning.

Tejinator likes this.