Forums Latest Members

WDYLT (What did you learn Today)

1. blubarb Aug 10, 2022

So, let's hear about what you learnt today. Let me start with:

M'Bob, rcs914, noelekal and 3 others like this.
  2. lillatroll Aug 11, 2022

I am staying at a eco smart hotel. Everything is done via an app. Jesus wept. I am losing the will to live. Everything takes a bloody age. I want a key and a human being. There is nothing smart about this hotel except the fact that it saves the operators a ton of money. This will be the first and hopefully the last time I ever set foot in one of these god forsaken places.

YYTIN, morethan1, peatnick and 14 others like this.
  3. Walrus Aug 11, 2022

https://theconversation.com/depress...mical-imbalance-in-the-brain-new-study-186672

Didn’t necessarily learn today been it’s becoming more in the forefront lately. I was talking with an MD at work and he was saying there is some interesting research about some mental illnesses and the stomach. He went further into detail but I can’t get into all that but if billions have been spent on these drugs that for years studies have been “shaky” on that’s pretty amazing.
    Weird though the things you stumble across as you make your way through the world. My world almost fell apart when I found baby “talcum” powder was killing people, it seemed so innocuous.

mydeafcat, M'Bob, DaveK and 1 other person like this.
  4. Charlemagne1333 Aug 11, 2022

I learnt that the word bed is shaped like a bed…

iamvr, Aroxx, STANDY and 11 others like this.
  5. janice&fred Aug 11, 2022

If one's Harley Davidson has an oil filter and electric starter, it's just a shame. I prefer a classic XLCH that would propel one over the handlebars if kicked started without retarding the magneto :D

STANDY, M'Bob, Om3ga321 and 2 others like this.
  6. Evitzee Aug 11, 2022

That's the same group of people that pine for the return of Lucas electrics.

blubarb, Paedipod, ghce and 1 other person like this.
  7. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Aug 12, 2022

I learnt (again) that a good outward disposition is to people as pollen is to bees …

Tuna Cowboy, M'Bob, DaveK and 4 others like this.
  8. blubarb Aug 12, 2022

I learnt that if the left side of the brain controls the right side of the body, then left handed people are the only ones in their right minds.

(btw, happy international lefties day for the 13th August.

iamvr, YYTIN, M'Bob and 6 others like this.
  9. CPRwatch Aug 12, 2022

upload_2022-8-12_10-3-48.jpeg

DaveK and Omegafanman like this.
  10. blubarb Aug 12, 2022

Speaking of which...and apropos of @Walrus above...
    I learnt that, and according to a certain Prof. Pettigrew that the idea of brain switching between hemispheres and switching speeds is an indication of specific brain types. He noted that, for example, creative people such as writers, actors, dancers, painters, etc. seem to cluster significantly in the fast switching category (above the average of 4-6 switches in 30 seconds) and scientists, mathematicians, mechanics, etc. below the average switching times. Psychology Today reported that unusually slow switching was found in a statistically significant number of people prone to mood swings, depression and bipolar - the theory is that slow switchers get stuck in one hemisphere making them more prone to these issues.
    His theory of brain switching came about when the Professor attempted to explain the odd optical behaviour of a fish known as the Sandlance. The Sandlance's eyes are disconnected from each other's motion and unlike most animals, it's eyes can move independently of each other. It's eyes do not move simultaneously, only one eye moves at a time.

If you want to do the experiment to see if you are a fast or slow switcher, here's how:

first you need Bonneh's Illusion:

then:
    Sit about a metre to a metre from the screen. It works better if you're up close, between 1 to 1½ m on a larger screen. Look and concentrate on the left upper dot for 30 seconds (I suspect any dot will do but controlled experiments used the upper left dot). Time yourself. You will find the as you stare at that one dot the other two dots will start to disappear. Then they'll re-appear. As they re-appear each time just put a tick on a piece of paper - have timer set to start and stop at 30 seconds.

ps. Here is an older Catalyst interview: https://www.abc.net.au/catalyst/brain-switch/11007838

btw, and no surprises here, I am an average switcher with 4 or 5 switches in 30 secs. Makes sense. I can't draw, don't dance and my mental arithmetic sucks

Edited Aug 12, 2022
  11. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Aug 12, 2022

^^^ 7

12. wsfarrell Aug 12, 2022

Joseph Lucas: Prince of Darkness.
    Here's the official Lucas diagram on fuse replacement:
    fusereplacement.jpeg

And here's a popular replacement part:
    smoke2.jpeg

13. rcs914 Aug 12, 2022

So it wasn't today, but I heard something recently that is impossible to comprehend how crazy it is, unless you are familiar with just how vast space is, and how big the Milky Way is compared to Earth and our Solar System. But here it is, my fun fact of the day:

If you were to take the Earth, and chop its entire volume up into 1 cubic meter chunks, and then put those chunks end to end, it would stretch the entire diameter of the Milky Way galaxy.

Based on the Milky Way being approximately 105,700 light years in diameter, the math works out, and some left over - the line of cubic meters of Earth would stretch for an additional 8,350 light years.

1.083 x 10^21 cubic meters is the volume of the Earth

1.004 x10^21 is the diameter of the Milky Way in meters

(the difference between those two numbers is 79 quintillion - thus the additional 8k+ light years of distance)

blubarb likes this.
  14. Spruce Sunburst dial fan Aug 12, 2022

I started reading this thread and pretty soon lost the will ….. to read any further

morethan1, lindo, blubarb and 2 others like this.
  15. blubarb Aug 12, 2022

:D:D but not to comment which is good to see :D:D

Spruce and watchyouwant like this.
  16. watchyouwant ΩF Clairvoyant Aug 12, 2022

Gut health = Brain connection. Fast Food does exactly what it sounds like. Killing people fast.... And most like it. Time for big Investments in public education. Too many Humans are too stupid.

17. blubarb Aug 12, 2022

According to the Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy it's "big...really big..."

Mathematics says:
    20 of our moons can fit inside the earth
    680 earths into Jupiter
    over 1,213,950 earths into our sun

Now this is also mind blowing!

watchyouwant likes this.
  18. blubarb Aug 14, 2022

Wow! I did not know that Pringles were not wholly made of potato. It seems that they have 42% potato which allows them to legally be called potato chips - is that not unlike 51% of parts to be called a Swiss watch?

Anyhow,

This is a detailed list of Pringles’ ingredients:
    • 42% potato content
    • Wheat starch
    • Corn, rice, or potato flour
    • Emulsifier
    • Vegetable oil
    • Salt and seasonings
    Some Pringles may have additional ingredients for more flavor. Ingredients like:
    • Dextrose or maltodextrin as sweeteners
    • Monosodium glutamate or MSG
    • Disodium inosinate
    • Sodium caseinate
    • Disodium guanylate
    • Modified food starch
    • Diglyceride and monoglyceride
    • Malted barley, wheat, or bran flour
    • Artificial and natural flavorings
    • Autolyzed yeast extract
    • Cheddar cheese, sour cream, etc.
    New advertising slogan: Pringles - prepared and made by some of the world's finest Noble Prize winning chemists.

Well, I did not know that until today. :( Will it stop me munching on them...nope, I don't think so. ;)

BlackTalon, Charlemagne1333 and M'Bob like this.
  19. M'Bob Aug 14, 2022

I agree, disgusting. A tad partial to the logo, I confess:

E3CF6D7C-8554-4334-B855-9D6A74A1BF3A.png

Charlemagne1333 and JimInOz like this.
  20. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Aug 14, 2022

Citizen M?