Forums Latest Members

Will You Buy A Re-issue Or Re-edition?

1. seamonster Respectable Member Nov 10, 2012

Respectable Members

Has the idea or introduction of re-editions or re-issues really caught up and managed to live-up to the expectations of the manufacturers?

At least for me, if I could not afford the original version, however tattered and torn or aged it may be, I would rather leave those re-editions and re-issues, alone. Views of other respectable forum members, sought.

Just have a look at these three examples.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Longines-Le...685993888?pt=Wristwatches&hash=item564e9b63a0Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1960s-Longi...015875769?pt=Wristwatches&hash=item337592a0b9Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-HUGE-L...807760358?pt=Wristwatches&hash=item43b57e45e6Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

Thank-you. Longines diver .jpg

2. ulackfocus Nov 10, 2012

I'd rather have the original too. The Legend Diver is one of the nicer re-issues though, as is most of the Heritage line from Longines.

3. Gavin It's the quiet ones you have to 'watch' out for. Nov 10, 2012

The original is hard to come by. I can definitely live with that reissue. In fact, it's on my wishlist.;)

4. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Nov 10, 2012

Good topic. In general, I agree that the originals are preferable when affordable.

In the final year of the rule of the reviled Thierry Nataf, he did some reissues of the angled-case early El Primeros that were not slavish copies of the original watches. The cases were larger and the dials were in most cases original to the so-called New Vintage series, except for the signature Zenith tri-color dial. I find them absolutely brilliant, and their appeal has endured. I've never regretted getting them.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I think this sort of riffing - rather than replicating - is an interesting re-edition option for manufacturers who are looking to tap into their historical roots.

I also wouldn't turn up my nose at the Reverso Tribute to 1931 line (which is of course larger than the original) , the JLC heritage divers (Polaris, Deep Sea Alarm), or the Omega Officer's Watch (Museum Watch #3).

5. pknopp Nov 13, 2012

Something I've noticed.......Now there may be a reason for this, I don't know. I've seen where the Bulova Spaceview reissues are selling for thousands of dollars when you can buy a very nice original for $500.

Whatever the answer is to the reason, if I was to buy one I would much prefer the original.

6. ulackfocus Nov 13, 2012

The originals are maintenance problems. The index wheels and coils are always wearing out, and parts are getting harder to find. The modern versions work on more reliable technology. Having owned Spaceviews including a Yellow Dot B, this is the one exception to the re-issue vs. original question for me.

pknopp likes this.