Forums Latest Members

Will I regret not buying the CK2998 now?

1. 83n Jul 24, 2019

Hi,

just a short question: my AD has a CK2998 in stock. I love that model. The colorway is spot on. I almost bought it but I spent way to much on watches in the last months and years. My collection is well rounded at the moment and honestly I don‘t need another Speedmaster.

But with it beeing limited and all. Do you think it will ne hard of expansive to get one down the road? Will I regret not buying it in a few years?

fskywalker and rominvicta like this.
  2. janw23 Jul 24, 2019

Nobody knows, but the likely answer is that neither price or availability will change substantially in a few years.

Ree and 83n like this.
  3. madjestikmoose Can’t bat, can’t bowl Jul 24, 2019

I love that model too, and if I had the funds/spouse permission I wouldn't hesitate. I don't know what others you have in your collection but I'd consider offloading one to make way. Or get the CK on credit and then offload it further down the line if the buyer's remorse is too overwhelming.

Just my opinion :)

83n likes this.
  4. Plein Jul 24, 2019

I bought and sold and bought it again for 2016 model.Fit aqua terra bracelet pretty nice! DMI_4912.JPG

5. stevec14 Jul 24, 2019

I assume you mean the 2018 pulsometer? If so, then I have one and it’s great. Very different to many others. None of these ck’s have gone up much in value, but equally haven’t tanked.

For the upgrades (dial, ceramic bezel, sapphire), I don’t think they are bad value but the straight lugged variants never quite get as much love as the professional models.

83n likes this.
  6. bama2141 Jul 24, 2019

Life is short - buy what you like (and can afford). No one “needs” more watches — it’s a hobby and hobbies are meant to be overdone.

Wryfox, Sidnos, rominvicta and 6 others like this.
  7. Evitzee Jul 24, 2019

What he said....this is an often irrational hobby, no one needs any mechanical watch these days. But if it talks to you and you can afford it, why not? I bought my CK2998 (blue panda) new at 15% off from an AD so I'm not too out of whack with the current market price. I enjoy it in my collection, knowing it would be relatively easy to liquidate at not too much loss.

Edited Jul 24, 2019
    rominvicta and 83n like this.
  8. texasmade Jul 24, 2019

I haven’t seen this done before. Can you provide more pictures?

83n likes this.
  9. krh7 Jul 24, 2019

at least this is a liquid watch. can be moved rather easily. it's not like you're debating an el primero that takes forever to sell if you want to move on.

83n likes this.
  10. guaranteed.rohu Jul 24, 2019

regret because the price will explode? TBH man, I think no one realllllllllly knows any of this. The whole point of bubbles is everyone thinks they won't burst when they do.

While it's fun to speculate, don't let it get you down! I know a guy who sold a heuer carrera skipper not so long ago for around $1.0k USD, now that's like a $50k watch? impossible really to predict these things!

83n likes this.
  11. guaranteed.rohu Jul 24, 2019

and - I think IMO the ck2998 won't ever go crazy. Just my gut feel

83n likes this.
  12. krh7 Jul 24, 2019

wow! i had no idea. are you talking the hodinkee version? i saw a photo and that linked back to the hodinkee site a few months ago. at $5900 i thought it looked nice, and only 50% overpriced for a tag.

83n likes this.
  13. guaranteed.rohu Jul 24, 2019

I mean the vintage piece (here in melbourne, around 10-12 years ago)

83n likes this.
  14. krh7 Jul 24, 2019

makes more sense. i did a quick google search and saw a hodinkee version at $40k on stockx. clearly incorrect.
    upload_2019-7-24_23-7-13.png

83n likes this.
  15. guaranteed.rohu Jul 24, 2019

Haha I hope no one is paying anything above RRP for that....

83n likes this.
  16. 83n Jul 25, 2019

Funny, just saw that thread: https://omegaforums.net/threads/buyers-remorse-ck2998.82558/

Thanks for all your opinions. But I am still not sure what to do.

I don‘t care about a watch gaining or losing value when I bought it. I only buy what I like and only to wear.

I wanted to put a bigger focus in my collection on Omega since I like the design and I think they offer a whole lot for the money. More precisely, I want more Speedmasters and I am afraid I wont ne able to get that one in the future.

But well, I will think about it!

17. LeonDeBayonne Jul 25, 2019

It's a great looking watch. The two things almost for granted are (1) in a couple of years, the watch will no longer be available for purchase from an OB or AD and (2) Omega retail prices will climb higher as time goes by (the strategy is quite visible). Omega will cover the price rise with marketing and technical "improvements" (321, 3861, new bezels, specific packages... you name them), but in the end, it will always mean more $$$ for the collector/buyer. On top of that, at current retail price, I believe that the ck2998 is a very good value proposal relative to other brands (yes, I assume what I say). So, indeed, I believe it's a good opportunity to buy now this watch.

83n likes this.
  18. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Jul 25, 2019

I feel your pain. I went nuts over the past 6 years too. Now I’m semi retired and economizing. I want the Seiko 9F LTD Edition ...Mrs S wants a Florida Condo...Who wins? ::facepalm1:: Any way I think the watch in question is lovely but idiosyncratic... I don’t think it has legs as a watch that will appreciate in value.

83n likes this.
  19. tzachi Aug 2, 2019

No one knows or can predict. Market is now steered by flippers, they buy, inflate, and we all see these price escalation.
    a Snoopy from X to 4X in few month?
    And if anyone needs not that far of a reminder? check preowned Panerai prices in 2007 and 2015 (and now)...
    when that will settle, you'll see real demand or not.

WatchCor and LeonDeBayonne like this.
  20. Bp1000 Aug 3, 2019

There are a couple of things that spring to mind for me here

There have been plenty of watches I now regret not buying - because several years back I had those watches on my wrist and didn’t go for them because I didn’t immediately like them and wanted other watches.

There are some watches in my collection that have done extremely well in terms of future / current value vs what I paid. I bought them because I loved them but some of them at the time were not popular choices

On the second point I could have never predicted how the values would have gone crazy the way they did.

I just buy what I love and I tend to love watches that are a little bit different. I normally buy based on the dial or dial bezel combo as that’s what I’m looking at. I like interest dials and colours.

So I bought the pulsometer. It’s a lovely CK version, different with a very nice / interesting dial.

I’d say there is a good chance it will hold value and a 50/50 chance it may do above expectations in the future; with it being a pulsometer dial / different with a pleasing dial.

Best thing to do is buy it if you love it. Investment buys are harder with omega. Only the sure fire ones seem safe. But you never know how this might change in the future. Who knows omega may really rally their prices upwards and stop doing LEs. Seems crazy right now to think that but you never know what moves that happen In the future will affect these values.

DiiQue, cjb169 and LeonDeBayonne like this.